Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower teh car w/o changing the shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 08:30 PM
Default Lower teh car w/o changing the shocks?

I have a sport suspension. Is it possible to lower it and not have to change the shocks? Is there any problems with this?

Old 06-16-2005, 08:38 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Lower teh car w/o changing the shocks?

Not a good idea, you will blow the stock shocks quickly and you wont have the greatest ride quality

Old 06-16-2005, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

For what it's worth ... I just put new Neuspeed Sport Springs and Bilstein Sport Shocks in my '00 1.8TQ with original stock sport suspension. It didn't lower it at all at the typical spring saddle height. Luckily I had the Bilstein's grooved so I was able to milk about an inch out of the project, but it was less than expected.

I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow but I'll take some pics when I get back.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:03 PM

everything ive read says that its no good. like tom said, the springs alone will wear our and destroy your stock shocks after a short period of time. im sure you'll be happier overall if you wait a lil longer and get spring/shock combo. let me know if anyone says otherwise because he has the sport suspension, i would be interested to hear the effect.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:23 PM
4th Gear

insuite, obvisouly u saw no change yet, the shocks have to settle, give them a coulple months.

Old 06-16-2005, 10:06 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: audiboy1618

insuite, obvisouly u saw no change yet, the shocks have to settle, give them a coulple months.
really? hmmm ... looks like i might be cranking 'em back up a little. thanks for the info, didn't know that.
about how much would you expect them to drop.

Old 06-16-2005, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

ya man if you drop it DEFINATELY do the shocks while you're at it. Just bought mine and he didn't do the shocks but did the h&r's, and they're completely toast. I'm fixing it with bilstein sport shocks but it woulda been alot easier if it was all done at the same time. Learn from my experience.... speedbumps + blown shocks = completely trashed catalytic converters and 500$ bill for new ones. [:'(]

Old 06-16-2005, 10:20 PM
4th Gear

They will settle a nice amount yet, im not sure as to how much.

Sandandsnow, just thought id let ya know if ur looking for a color in ur sig, Imola is the color ur looking for

Old 06-16-2005, 11:23 PM
1st Gear

Not sure if Eibach has a pro kit for us (you should be able to use the factory shocks according to them), but I did it on my accord, fronts are fine, rear bottomed out.. So no, if you are going to do the springs do the shocks as well...

Old 06-16-2005, 11:32 PM

so what is better shock/spring combo or coilovers? I want a good ride while it being lower and handling even better.

Quick Reply: Lower teh car w/o changing the shocks?