Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

might buy my first audi....

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 09:21 PM
1st Gear
Default might buy my first audi....

for everyone here who owns an audi A4 , im wondering how reliable has your car been, and what problems have you had with it? im thinkin about gettin a 2000+ A4 1.8T. i love the car, but the thing is i've heard some things about audis. my friends dad has an A8 and he put TVs in the headrests and after that everything went wrong with electrical and computer stuff, another guy i know has an S4 that wouldnt go into reverse. so anyway just tell me what you think about the car if you have/had one and feel free to post pics if you want... thanks

Old 10-10-2005, 09:30 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: might buy my first audi....

Run away-run away!....Just kidding. I have only been an Audi owner for a few days but the concenses here seems to be that Audi's break just as much as any other make of automobile, its just 3 times as expensive to fix. They are fun to drive and mod, but you better have deep pockets.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:34 PM
2nd Gear

I had a 96 a4 2.8 and never had a prob with it. I then bought a 1.8t w/ 69k and an upgraded turbo (only bought b/c I got it for a steal!) and I have only driven it 350 miles since July 1.....lol. But it is because of a special adapter plate that was a sh*tty design from ATP. Everyone else I know loves their car and hasn't had very much trouble at all. I personally love my a4, can't wait until the turbo gets back this weekend.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:41 PM
1st Gear

Welcome to the forum.

I've had my B5 1.8Q for almost a year and wouldn't drive anything else. No issues and lots of fun driving. As far as repair costs, it does help if you can do / enjoy working on your own car. It definitely keeps the costs down.

When I was car shopping... safety was one of my top priorities. Fun to drive, 4-wheel drive and safe.

Go ahead and purchase one... you won't regret it.

Old 10-10-2005, 10:14 PM
1st Gear

Make sure everything checks out when you're looking at the car. This sounds like common sense, but if you overlook something screwed up it could be hundreds later on down the road. Working on the car yourself saves money, the parts really aren't that expensive if you buy them online. Plus there's plenty of Do-It-Yourself projects with pictures on here to help you with repairs if and when they occur. The biggest asset are the people on this site. I've learned so much about my Audi AFTER I bought it that I ever knew before, so use this site to your advantage. And when you do finally buy an Audi you'll never want to drive anything else ever again, they truly are amazing cars.

Old 10-10-2005, 11:05 PM
1st Gear

do you guys think i should get the 1.8T or the 2.8? im definitly gunna get quattro nd not FWD. nd im thinkin about gettin the tiptronic, my friend has a tiptronic nd its pretty fun, nd truthfully sometimes i just dont feel like drivein a manual, cuz theres soooo much traffic near me

Old 10-10-2005, 11:34 PM
1st Gear

first thing on buying an audi
goto the dealer with the vin number and see what work has been done with it, too much might make you change your mind
and of course carfax

and the main reason into looking at an audi is make sure the maintance is done, and the timing belt was changed with the water pump

people usually just buy an audi, drive it 80k without changing a thing, then try to sell it for full price because they don't want to pay money to have the maintance done on the car

A4s are great on gas for the ammount of power you can get and the insurance is much lower!

can't see a reason not to get one!

oh yeah FREAKING 4-WHEEL DRIVE!! what beamer has that?

Old 10-11-2005, 12:15 AM
1st Gear

oh yeah FREAKING 4-WHEEL DRIVE!! what beamer has that?
Actually the Xi models do have AWD