Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might join your audi family tomorrow...need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 11:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Might join your audi family tomorrow...need suggestions

Hi guys. I've been silently reading this forum for about a week and I must say it's great. Such wealth of information here.

*** kissing aside, I'm in the market for an A4 and I was thinking about going with a 2.8 but after reading all the info here regarding all the mods for the 1.8T, my mind was changed.

Anyway, I've searching for a couple of days and found this 99 1.8T Quattro, 5 speed with only 42K miles, asking price $9,800. I spoke to the owner by phone and saw pictures on the internet and the car looks like it's in mint condition. I was shocked to find a 99 model with such low mileage.

According to edmunds.com, the price is right but I wanted to find out from you guys if you thought it was a good deal, since you've had more experience with Audis than I have.

Also, I'm gonna see it tomorrow morning. Can you guys point out what things I should pay attention to, besides the obvious external and internal wear and tear? I'm not a mechanic but if there's anything you can suggest as to what I should inspect, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you in advance guys.

Old 04-02-2006, 12:19 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Might join your audi family tomorrow...need suggestions

i just got a 1996 a4 quattro for 7250 and it had 65k and timing belt done, good condition just to go by that, but yeah the 1.8's can be modified a lot but if you want to put 5000 into a 30v 2.8 you can supercharge them up to 294hp and with some other minor mods easily over 300. but if your just looking for little mods then go with the 1.8, if you want pure reliability and not many mod options go with the 96 with the 12v v6. but yeah under ten for that low of miles sounds pretty good. make sure you use synthetic oil and change it a lot.

Old 04-02-2006, 12:59 AM
1st Gear

A really good idea is to ask the person if you can bring it by your mechanic so he could take a look underneeth and just see if its in as good of condition as it looks. Thats what i did and its always worth the twenty bucks. There might be something that he will pick up on that you havent allready. Good luck and hope you get a good car.

Old 04-02-2006, 01:14 AM
Zombie Defense Force

or you chould buy my car

Old 04-02-2006, 01:26 AM
1st Gear

i would buy jeff's car, it's sweet and mods are done all ready, it's a great buy for the money. look around the forum and you will find it. my a$$ kissing in done for the day.

Old 04-02-2006, 04:18 AM
1st Gear

That's some good advise. The thing is, I bought a new PT Cruiser a couple of years ago, around the same time I moved to a different borough and the very few times I've had issues with the car, I just bring it to the dealer since it's still under warranty. In other words, I don't have a mechanic that I can bring the car to. I'll see what I can do.

Jeff, nice car, but you're in TX and I'm in NY. Kind of far to pick up. (plus I don't think I saw anywhere your asking price).

Old 04-02-2006, 06:55 AM
5th Gear

Ask if the t belt has been done, and you wana make sure the owner took good care of it, doing all nessicary maintainence and what not

Old 04-03-2006, 12:22 PM
1st Gear

I saw the car yesterday and yes, it was in mint condition, inside and out. I tried to negotiate the price but the guy wouldn't come down. That's OK though because I was prepared to pay his asking price. The blue book says this car is worth around $11,000 so this is a great deal that I was not about to pass by.

I gave the guy a deposit and next weekend I'm bringing a friend with me who's a mechanic so that he can do his thing. I don't forsee any problems though.

So it looks like I'll be driving an Audi next week. Yeah baby!

Old 04-03-2006, 12:43 PM
6th Gear

Congrats. Post up some pictures if you get a chance.

Old 04-03-2006, 12:47 PM
1st Gear

im jealous its a 5speed, and i'd say thats a really good deal. better scoop that bad boy up before i hunt it down and beat ya to it!

Quick Reply: Might join your audi family tomorrow...need suggestions