Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire help needed. A4 98 1.6

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 02:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Misfire help needed. A4 98 1.6

Hi All, Just found this site after resorting to google for info on my A4 misfire.

I am nearing the point of giving up trying to find the fault and cutting my losses and buying something else.

I have a 1998 1.6 A4. It has a small misfire that i cant seem to find the cause of.

I have small sparks arcing between the plug leads and cylinder head, mainly on cylinder 4, the one closest to the rear of the engine. I thought i would change the plugs and leads and that would be it, but no.

I replaced them and on starting, cylinders 1 and 3 were arcing through the leads.

A bit confused i returned the new leads as faulty and got a 2nd set (different make) and they also arc out to the head. Its not a strong spark, more of a weak flash but its there all the same, im assuming it must get stronger under load causing a misfire.

Anyway, after deciding it must be the coil, i bought a new one today and fitted it (what a bugger, had to remove throttle body etc to do it)
Started it up this afternoon and guess what, sparks through the leads and a misfire.

Any ideas as im about to push it off a cliff

Also, i have access to a code reader and it brings up no codes present.

Thanks in advance.

Millsy