Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 03:46 AM
Default misfiring

I had a chipped K0-3 with 710n DV. I upgraded this to K0-4 with the basic k0-4 giac software and installed a 5 bar FPR, but it began misfiring when i begin to punch the gas. I was recommended to replace the coil packs and have done that as well as replacing the sparkplugs, but it still misfires. Before the coilpack and sparkplug replacement it was throwing codes for misfires in cylinder 1 and 3, after the replacement it throws codes for cylinder 1 and a random cylinder. I have tried swapping sparkplugs between cylinders 1 and 2, but it still misfires. I do not know what else to do, any ideas?

I have not installed my boost gauge yet to determine if im spiking too much.

Also, how are the cylinders numbered in a '99 1.8T quattro?

Old 03-14-2007, 03:54 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: misfiring

If you were boosting too much from high spiking that would cause detonation, not a misfire. Do you have a flashing CEL with misfire fault codes?
A rich (too much fuel)A/F ratio will cause a misfire
A lean A/F (too much air/boost)ratio will cause detonation
Are you sure you arent detonating?
You should definately have a boost gauge. Pick one up asap.
A boost leak will cause you to run rich and misfire so its hard to diagnose that without a boost gauge.

Cylinders are #'d 1-4 with 1 being closest to the radiator.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:02 AM

I have my boost gauge, I just haven't installed it[:'(] I will do that tomorrow. What numbers should I be looking for with basic k0-4 programming?

The ODB scanner says it's a misfire so it may very well be that I have a boost leak then. And what is detonation?

Old 03-14-2007, 04:08 AM
Site Moderator

detonation is preignition. Air that enters the intake manifold/head is so hot that the fuel is combusted prematurely, before the piston reaches the upstroke for "on time" combustion. This causes lots of stress on the pistons/rods/crank because while the piston is going up, there is premature combustion exploding trying to force it back down at the same time. If that makes any sense? Im not sure what the basic k04 file is supposed to boost at. Give GIAC or AWE a call.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:06 AM

oh okay that makes sense. and also the light that comes on is the CEL

if the problem is my O2 sensor, how will I be able to tell?

Old 03-14-2007, 08:41 AM
1st Gear

To have an idea if you are knocking/detonating, you could log the Correction Factors with Vag-Com and do a 3rd gear run. If you see high CF's (max is 12), there is a pretty good chance that you are knocking/detonating. My 02 was chipped with GIAC FXK03 and it was knocking like crazy, I had CF's hitting 12 degrees on all cylinders and I could hear it under the hood. GIAC had to make a 2nd, less aggressive version of the program because of that.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:51 PM
4th Gear

You should look at the color on the spark plug tips.
They should be tan after a hard run. They'll be
black if rich and white if lean.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

your car isn't misfiring because of an o2 sensor. My guess is you're running lean and detonating with the new turbo and higher boost. THIS IS A VERY BAD THING, as it can get hot enough to fuse your pistons to you cylinder walls (I hope I don't need to explain why this is a bad thing). until you figure out what is going on, I would NOT RUN THIS ENGINE. you apparently have a chip that can handle the k04, but your injectors may be too small, or may be too dirty to get enough fuel into the system. if you have a CEL check it. if it's telling you the o2 sensor isn't functioning correctly, but isn't saying you're misfiring, then there is a 90% chance you're running too lean and detonating.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:52 AM
4th Gear

How old is your fuel filter?

Old 03-15-2007, 02:02 AM

just a shot in the dark here. but i had a random misfire code when my MAF got dirty. It also threw me into limp mode but maybe its just dirty enough to misfire but not cause limp. YOu could try cleaning maf and see if that gets you anywhere. and if not at least you have a nice clean maf.

Quick Reply: misfiring