Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moderately overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 04:51 PM
Default Moderately overheating

Howdy people,
Can you please give me some ideas?
I have a 1999.5 1.8 20v non-turbo that has recently had its 80,000mile service, had its timing belt changed at 60,000 and has just started to play up. The problem:

A start-up it makes a top end rattle for a few seconds and then disappears. This has been happening for a long while and the manual states that this can happen. However, it was just when it was cold but now it is every time the car is started.
Additionally, within the last week I have been getting some temp. problems. Last Tues the temp went up to 115 but stayed there for my 30 mins drive (did not fluctuate). The following days it was fine. Then today it ran at 110 constantly instead of the usual 90. I have also noticed that the top end is slightly rattly all the time and when reved it made a whurring noise (bit like a busted thrust bearing noise).

I have checked the oil and there is no sludge or gunge and it performs as normal.

Could this be the crappy audi waterpump or the oil pump? Any ideas, please help!!!

Old 08-14-2004, 09:18 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Moderately overheating

Well, there are a couple of things I can think of iff the top of my head. Those engines do have problems with oil sump screens clogging. Before I had my oil pump and sump screen replaced I had a bit of lifter noise on start up, but it too went away after the engine had been running about 20 seconds. Another thing, you could have a bad coolant temp sensor. It's located just at the back left corner of the valve cover. Also, do you know if they replaced your thermostat when they did the timing belt/water pump? Hope this helps.

Old 08-17-2004, 04:51 PM
3rd Gear

Is this a valve tapping sound or something else?

================================================== ===========

Welcome to the forum andwp!

This is a great site. We keep the dialogue friendly and the attitude positive. The info is well received by all and we are here to help anyone with the need. I hope you find it to your liking as well.

If you're not familiar with this forum, please click the START HERE! link. There you will find a forum vocab list, an Audi forum terminology list and an Audi lexicon list. They should be very helpful to you if you're not familiar with the jargon.

Please feel free to ask any question, but double check the archives first. Many questions have been archived and, quite often, the answers are comprehensive.

Old 08-17-2004, 05:55 PM

Cheers guys. After further investigation by myself this w/e I found that the waterpump is fine and in reply the thermostat has never been changed.

I have got a further techy question. Is the main fan (not air con as that is electric) a viscous unit as I noticed when the engine is hot but switched off the fan spins freely. From my limited knowledge I thought viscous fans locked to the engine as it became hot so that the engine span it round at speed. If this is the case then this could be where my overheating problem lies???

With regard to the tapping noise, it is right at the back of the engine on top and is most prevailant when you start the engine with no gas, but there is a slight noise all the time. I amwondering if I have a sticky lifter??? and maybe there could be a problem with the advance and retard on the timing? Any ideas? Anyway, I shall try replacing the oil screen.

Thanks for your help.