Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modest lowering suggestions/advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:04 AM
1st Gear
Default Modest lowering suggestions/advice.

I have a 2001 A4 2.8Q with the stock (non-sport) suspension. I'd like to lower the car as the fender gap is larger than I'd like. I used to have a 2001 A4 2.8Q with the sport suspension (I was in an accident last year and lost the car -- luckily came out ok otherwise). I thought the sport suspension fender gap was acceptable and I felt the ride was about the same as my current stock non-sport suspension.

As I understand it, the sport suspension for this year consists only of different springs, struts, and sway bars. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm wondering if I can put just the stock sport springs and struts from a 2.8Q on my 2.8Q. I know the shorter stock sport springs must be accompanied by the (somehow different) stock sport struts. But, I'm curious if the sway bars must too be transplanted (as it were)?

FYI, the reason I'm thinking of doing this is 2 fold. One, I can probably pick up inexpensive used 2.8Q sport suspension springs and struts off this list (or springs at least and maybe get some new stock sport suspension struts at the dealer as I would guess those might be too worn if acquired used). Two, my experience in the past lowering a Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX with eibach springs and tokiko shocks (read, aftermarket springs recommended for that car/application) yielded a *very rough* ride. I'm not looking to replicate that again.

So, since I know what the stock sport suspension rides like and it drops the car about an inch, which is good enough for me, I'm thinking this is the best option. I know a lot folks recommend Neuspeed springs and Bilstein shocks. But my tolerance for rough rides is almost nil now and I'm not looking to dump $2500 or even $1000 in parts just to drop the car a little bit. Any suggestions/advice you have would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 05-17-2007, 02:52 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Modest lowering suggestions/advice.

im guessing but correct me if im wrong, are you buying someones springs that were put on his car from the factory? i would be careful if thats they case. and the sway bars dont matter in the case of lowering your ride.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:25 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the input.

Right. The idea is to get some used stock sport springs and struts from someone who's upgraded their suspension and is selling the old stock parts. I've seen several postings here and on other forums for just those parts. Do you think that's a bad idea? Why?

Old 05-17-2007, 03:31 AM
1st Gear

Also, I think I should clarify my question a bit. I understand that the sway bars don't actually affect the ride height. But my question was more along the lines of "will the stock sport springs and struts fit appropriately on a similar A4 that came with the stock non-sport suspension setup?". Specifically, I'm concerned with messing up any geometry that the stock non-sport suspension assumes insofar as it affects the otherwise excellent ride comfort and handling.

I know a car can be lowered in many ways. But it seems to me that the best way would be to replace the components in a way consistent with the manufacturer's specs, right? I'm really not interested in trying/learning that some particular aftermarket spring does/doesn't have the right spring rating to work with some other strut, etc. There's a lot of good technical knowledge/experience on these forums. I'm hoping someone who knows well the differences between the stock sport/non-sport suspensions, what works best to adjust ride height, and why (especially), could impart some knowledge.

Thanks.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:54 AM

yes, it will all bolt right up to your non-sport car.

as has been said before, the sway bars will make no difference to the ride height, but they'll make a noticeable difference to body roll and the general "tightness" of the car. if you can get them, do it.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:13 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the confirmation Belligerence.
May I ask, have you exchanged these parts yourself, is that how you know? I don't want to offend you. I'm just curious how you came to this knowledge.

Additionally, do you (or anyone else) happen to know how the S4 B5 suspension differs from the A4 B5 sport suspension? I may have an opportunity to pick up the S4 springs/struts instead of the A4 sport suspension parts.

Thanks again.