AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A4 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/)
-   -   Motherf*cking wheels (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/motherf%2Acking-wheels-75306/)

CLX 09-16-2007 11:46 AM

Motherf*cking wheels

So, I went to go put a bit of air in my tires since they looked a little low, and I can't get the goddamn metal valve stem caps off. They are jammed on so tight, that the stem is just spinning, and now it's leaking. Hooray. So, I tried to get my wheel off and all the lug bolts came out but the wheel is not coming off the hub. WTF! Does my car hate me? If it keeps this up she's not getting her next oil change. Any ideas at all? I've tried heating up the cap with a lighter but that didn't work, and I hosed it and my hub with LPS2 penetrating lubricant.

hiwords 09-16-2007 12:12 PM

RE: Motherf*cking wheels

get 2 pairs of plier and try it. u think that's bad, sumthing like that happened to me on my old bicycle

ImTheDevil 09-16-2007 12:40 PM

When I pulled my front wheels off to paint my calipers, heat and whatever else had stuck them to the hubs. I spent about five minutes on each one, kicking the sh*t out of the tires to break the wheels loose from the hubs. Pound on them like that and you'll get them off. Swearing while you do it helps even more.

hiwords 09-16-2007 12:48 PM

spraying wd40 into the wheel bolt holes will help.

Lazer Viking 09-16-2007 12:55 PM

yea, just sit on your ass, and kick the shit out of alternating sides of the tires

avoid spraying penetrating fluids on your brakes

hiwords 09-16-2007 12:57 PM

no don't spray on the brakes, just into the holes that ur wheel bolts go into

CLX 09-16-2007 01:22 PM

I got it off. I did the f*cking insane way! I loosened my lug bolts a turn and went for a spin around the block. Fuck yeah! Didn't help me with the caps, though. I'm thinking of taking a dremel to them. The two pliers thing didn't work, though, and now it's leaking...

hiwords 09-16-2007 01:27 PM

for the stem i think they are glued on. one thing to never do is used the green slime stuff. it'll work but will make the moment of inertia different than ur other wheels. i would take the tire off and glue the stem on. cut off the cap.

CLX 09-16-2007 01:36 PM

It's a metal cap.... and the pliers I used only managed to wear off the diamond texture on them. This is horribly frustrating!

hiwords 09-16-2007 01:39 PM

o crap. sry man thought u had the plastic ones. i guess the only easy way is get a new stem and cap. chop the old one in half and put the new one on.

auditech79 09-16-2007 01:53 PM

ORIGINAL: cyberlogicx

I got it off. I did the f*cking insane way! I loosened my lug bolts a turn and went for a spin around the block. Fuck yeah! Didn't help me with the caps, though. I'm thinking of taking a dremel to them. The two pliers thing didn't work, though, and now it's leaking...
I hate to say itbut that was extremely stupid to do. :eek:Thats an excellent way to warp a hub.
Next time you get a stuck wheel take off all the lugs, then screw one back in just a couple of threads, jack up the car and crawl under the car and either use a hammer or kick alternating sides of the wheel as laser viking said.

CLX 09-16-2007 02:02 PM

ORIGINAL: auditech79

I hate to say itbut that was extremely stupid to do. :eek:Thats an excellent way to warp a hub.
Next time you get a stuck wheel take off all the lugs, then screw one back in just a couple of threads, jack up the car and crawl under the car and either use a hammer or kick alternating sides of the wheel as laser viking said.
I know it was stupid, but after wedging my jack in between the frame and the wheel and trying to pop it off that way, and that failed. Desperate times call for desperate measures! Besides, I only loosened them by a half turn each, that was enough to break it free. Probably drove a total of 1000 feet, too. It's all good.

auditech79 09-16-2007 02:16 PM

Having just one lug loose is enough to warp a hub by a little bit. I just hope you don't develop a brake pedal pulsation. If the brake pedal starts pulsing, you should replace the brake rotors and the affected hub.

onepoint8tee 09-16-2007 02:30 PM

An old mechanic told me the losen the lug nut(s) and drive around the block trick a long time ago. I even recomended it to someone on here a while back, but yeah, its not wise. Ive always just taken a seat on the ground and kicked the wheels till they come off if they were stuck.

CLX 09-16-2007 02:43 PM

That's why I drove at 15 mph and didn't go cruising down the Pike. My wheel will never be stuck again, though. Totally used LPS #3 on it.

sdboarder84 09-16-2007 04:02 PM

sounds like some thing that be solved with a BFH

2.8Luv 09-16-2007 04:12 PM

Ivest in a rubber mallet and include it with your spare kit. Kicking took me 30 minutes and a sore leg one time when the wheel was rusted on but alternating side to side, top to bottom, did it for me. I have two Audi's so I can empathise, a couple flats in my days made me break a few sweats on the side of the road.
As for the stem cap, maybe try drilling it out with a fine needle bit (or the dremel). Good luck.
[align=left] [/align]

CLX 09-16-2007 04:33 PM

Yeah, about the hammer, I used a 12lb sledge and a bit of wood. If that didn't do it, a pathetic mallet won't do it. Aluminum wheels should never be mounted on cast iron hubs if you live in a corossive environment such as New England...

sdboarder84 09-16-2007 04:50 PM

bummer man. if a 12lb sledge wont get it off then I am not sure what you could use. good luck man

hiwords 09-16-2007 06:01 PM

next time, hook ur wheel up to a tiedown thingy that has a ratchet thingy on it. hook one side to a huge tree or something solid. then start clicking away. that has solved alot of problems for me

onepoint8tee 09-16-2007 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: hiwords

next time, hook ur wheel up to a tiedown thingy that has a ratchet thingy on it. hook one side to a huge tree or something solid. then start clicking away. that has solved alot of problems for me
Wtf?! You guys are getting too technical. The sit on your ass and kick the wheel method never fails, ever.

hiwords 09-16-2007 06:07 PM

but he doesn't want a soar leg. wut im talking bout is sorta like having 2 people pulling on oposite ends of a long rope and then someone comes in the middle and pushs down with one finger. just sharing my little knowledge of physics

CLX 09-16-2007 06:14 PM

My way worked fine, and I'm not going to let them seize up again. Life is good!

ImTheDevil 09-16-2007 06:29 PM

Hmmm, sounds familiar, like I heard that recently... ;)

apr_a4 09-17-2007 12:01 AM

hah before i starting doing everything diy i hada local shop do everything
heres the story:
i wanted to do a simple tire rotation lift the car put on jack stands and hook up the electric impact gun pop it in on the leg and turn it on, its not loosening at all i tried all 4 wheals nothing i borrow my neigbors gun see if my is just a pos (btw huge dub fan has a ghia) that dosent work i get out the breaker bar have the car lifted a little on the jack not on the stands and start jumping on it after about 3-4 jumpsfor every lugby a 180lb gut wow that was a pain tough me to torque my wheals though

hiwords 09-17-2007 12:06 AM

same thing happened to me with my front wheels except i put a 5 foot long pole onto my lug remover and start jumping on it with my 120lb gut lol. it took a long time haha

ironman 09-17-2007 01:21 PM

are you sure you took off all the Nuts i mean they are kinda dark you could of forgot,