Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Radio & My HID Kit...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 06:07 PM
1st Gear
Default My Radio & My HID Kit...

Alright fellas I installed my H7 6000k kit, I got it from VisionBulbs here on this site, a few weeks ago and noticed something very strange. Over the last couple of weeks I noticed my radio has been really static'y. My local stations are just full of static. Well, I was driving yesterday and thought to myself, hey my radio isn't so static'y anymore.I then flipped on my headlights cause it was getting kind of dark and boom, my radio is full of static again. I was shocked. I turned my lights back off and boom, my radio was fine.

Why would installing an HID kit mess with my radio reception? I am totally baffled by this. Never in a million years would I thought that static would be caused by my HID headlights.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I posted this in the VisionBulbs thread but thought a lot more people would see it here.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:23 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: My Radio & My HID Kit...

Bad Ground? I don't have a set so I don't know if thats involved is the install or not.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:42 PM

that is really odd. i had my kit installed and my reception is pefrect...if i hear of anything i will report back

Old 12-28-2007, 12:45 PM
1st Gear

Sorry to drag this thread back up BUT....

I have installed my hid kit also from vision and i have loads of static on my radio when the hids are lit

Did you fix the problem?
I spent another 45 mins moving my ballast but still have interference[:@]
Am i doomed to no reception on my radio now!

Oh yeah when i connected them first i got a check brakes display on the dash that cleared after i restarted the car...odd...

Old 12-28-2007, 01:38 PM
1st Gear

I'm guessing the ballasts are causing some kind of feedback through the ground of your radio... for starters, is the static only on radio or on radio AND cd?

If it's radio only... I got nothing for you.

If it's on both, I would buy 2 bosch 5 wire relays and run the power to the ballasts through the relay. I can diagram it for you if you wind up doing this, but i've solved a couple of ground induced feedback problems with high quality relay switching. - the fact that you got a random CEL after install points to an electrical gremlin.

Hope it helps.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:06 PM
1st Gear

just wondering,
when you got your HID kit installed, did you install relay harness that connects to your battery and your HID balst?

Old 12-28-2007, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

I just used the plug and play method as most of the people on the vision thread didnt bother with therelayharness.

Do you think a suppressor would be of any use here?

Will check the cd shortly.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:12 PM
1st Gear

a supressor will help, but a relay is better IMHO. I've used both with success. My vvme kit didn't come with relays. they are plug and play, but I cut the headlight harness and then soldered my connections to the relay using the factory headlight wiring as the swith to activate the relay.

keeps the strain off of the thin factory wiring, and also keeps any electrical noise out fo the factory harness.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:44 PM
1st Gear

Just went out and checked and its only the radio i get the static on and its clear on the cd.
It not noticable on the stronger stations only the weaker ones.

Guess i could wire the relay harness it came with to see if it helps,if not then i'll just have to live with it.

My abs light came on again but i think it only happens when i switch on the lights when the engine is at idle speed.will do more investigation on that.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:55 PM

I have that problem as well and it's really annoying!! Once I turn on my HIDs the radio goes to crap on most channels. Also, for some reason when I go south of my house on the highway the reception gets a lot better, which only frustrates me more because it leaves me with more questions! [:@]

Quick Reply: My Radio & My HID Kit...