Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help choosing a Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:03 AM
Default Need help choosing a Turbo Kit

Thanks for checkin' this out guys, Im not that technically inclined when it comes to my 2003 Audi A4 1.8t and noticed that alot of you guys sound like you know what your talkin about.

Well on with it, I cant decide on a turbo kit. Its between the following canidates.

AWE Tuning GT28R Turbo which you can find at http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...amp;IL=gt28rb6

B6 A4 1.8T K04 Turbo Upgrade- http://www.goapr.com/Audi/products/turbo_b6a4_k04.html

ATP GT71R kit with EuroCode/REVO Software- http://www.ecodetuning.com/shop/cart...tail&p=553Thanks again guys. Oh ya, I also have a carbonio cold air intake and a Milltek exhaust.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:47 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Need help choosing a Turbo Kit

Personally I would go with the last one. Because for the money you are getting a bigger upgrade insted of just a k04 like the second one plus Revo software is half way decent. I actually almost bought the last one before I decided to build an engine. You cant go wrong with APR but like I said its only a k04. you will have more fun with the bigger option of course

Old 06-20-2007, 07:00 AM

Thanks alot alot for the response, What do you think about the AWE kit? You think the last one beats it?

Old 06-20-2007, 07:43 AM
Site Moderator

The last one definately beats anything awe has for sale in every way. Youd want more after you got the k04, its fun, but its not roller coaster fun.. And I have heard bad things about the GT28R's reliability.. Not sure if that applies to the GT71R or not.... REVO has way more experience with big turbo software than GIAC too.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Spencerandhisdog

Im not that technically inclined
and

ATP GT71R kit with EuroCode/REVO Software-
http://www.ecodetuning.com/shop/cart...tail&p=553Thanks again guys. Oh ya, I also have a carbonio cold air intake and a Milltek exhaust.
Can't be in the same paragraph.
With the Revo kit you'll have to log a lot and they are notorious for a few things. First, the kit has had serious manifold problems if you get their manifold. If you re-use stock manifold you won't get the HP gains that you got the kit for in the first place.

The beauty of the AWE kit is that it's plug n play and no worries. The HP output isn't much more than a K04, but the reliability is there and it uses a high flow cat so you can feel like you're helping the world and staying legal and all that stuff.

The APR K04 kit is nice, but pricey for what you get in gains. No one usually gets that as you can get a K04 ala carte and piece it all together for much cheaper.

I know guys running the REVO big turbo kit. They love it. They hate the cracking manifold. They get serious numbers from it. But they know what they are doing. If you want to buy a kit, install it (or have it installed) and then be done with it knowing you've got power, then save for the APR Stage III+ or go with the AWE.
The Milltek exhaust also may not breathe well enough for a big turbo so you prolly will end up swapping that out. You will need an FMIC. The Carbonio doesn't do crap; no intake does, but APR suggests it for their upper stage kits. If you got an APR kit they'd supply a new front plate for the larger MAF housing. The REVO big turbo kit re-uses the stock MAF so no worries there.
On the B6's the GT28RS has not had reliability concerns at all. The GT28Rs spools up faster than the 71R and that's why AWe and APR use it in their kits.
Search the other forums for more on the ecode REVO kit. There are threads miles long on both audizine and audigeeks. Guys over there have been running that kit on B6's for a while and know the good and bad and what can be done to prevent the bad.
But still, if you claim lack of technical expertise, the REVO kit may not be the way to go on the B6.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:01 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: fahquad

ORIGINAL: Spencerandhisdog

Im not that technically inclined
and

ATP GT71R kit with EuroCode/REVO Software-
http://www.ecodetuning.com/shop/cart...tail&p=553Thanks again guys. Oh ya, I also have a carbonio cold air intake and a Milltek exhaust.
Can't be in the same paragraph.
With the Revo kit you'll have to log a lot and they are notorious for a few things. First, the kit has had serious manifold problems if you get their manifold. If you re-use stock manifold you won't get the HP gains that you got the kit for in the first place.

The beauty of the AWE kit is that it's plug n play and no worries. The HP output isn't much more than a K04, but the reliability is there and it uses a high flow cat so you can feel like you're helping the world and staying legal and all that stuff.

The APR K04 kit is nice, but pricey for what you get in gains. No one usually gets that as you can get a K04 ala carte and piece it all together for much cheaper.

I know guys running the REVO big turbo kit. They love it. They hate the cracking manifold. They get serious numbers from it. But they know what they are doing. If you want to buy a kit, install it (or have it installed) and then be done with it knowing you've got power, then save for the APR Stage III+ or go with the AWE.
The Milltek exhaust also may not breathe well enough for a big turbo so you prolly will end up swapping that out. You will need an FMIC. The Carbonio doesn't do crap; no intake does, but APR suggests it for their upper stage kits. If you got an APR kit they'd supply a new front plate for the larger MAF housing. The REVO big turbo kit re-uses the stock MAF so no worries there.
On the B6's the GT28RS has not had reliability concerns at all. The GT28Rs spools up faster than the 71R and that's why AWe and APR use it in their kits.
Search the other forums for more on the ecode REVO kit. There are threads miles long on both audizine and audigeeks. Guys over there have been running that kit on B6's for a while and know the good and bad and what can be done to prevent the bad.
But still, if you claim lack of technical expertise, the REVO kit may not be the way to go on the B6.
What kind of power are you making?

Old 06-20-2007, 10:17 AM

What kind of power are you making?
Not sure. I haven't dyno'd yet. I'm not in to spending money for a paper print out showing I've got big ballz, lol. I just want a fast car. But a buddy on AZ with same kit, running HFC like me, with similar FMIC (our IAT numbers read about the same on VAG logs) just did 315 AWHP and I think low 320 on the torque last week on 93 octane file. So with drivetrain loss that's up over the 400chp mark at least.
I'm switching to test pipe wrapped with heat wrap, and I'm pulling my manfiold for ceramic coating this week. Then I'm swapping out rods and running the race gas file. Then doing water/meth.
That should put down some good numbers. I'll dyno then just to see. Right now, I'm just happy knowing a ballpark based off someone with the same kit. That, and beating up on some V8's on a regular basis, will do it for me.
The REVO kit is putting down simillar numbers for those with the SPS3 unit who bump timing and boost and log a lot to keep it all in check. That's what I meant about having to have some technical ability. You can't plug in the ecode 71r kit and leave it alone and expect those numbers right out of the box. But for the price, that option is a great kit if you know how to tweak.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:59 AM

Thanks for the help, I failed to mention that it is a tiptronic car. Ideally i want to change out the tiptronic with a manuel, either 5 or 6 speed. Is that possible? If so, how much would it cost? I think i am going to go with the revo. It sounds kinda fun!

Old 06-21-2007, 03:39 AM
Administrator

wat a waste of a thread

this car is not a honda u cant just go around changin stuff, theres no point in changin a tip to a manual
its better to sell ur car and buy a manual

and there are a few tips running the GTRS turbo and i think their trannies blew yet
but u never know theres still time

Old 06-22-2007, 12:14 AM
2nd Gear

lol, fukin tips...

Quick Reply: Need help choosing a Turbo Kit