Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help oil leakage

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Default Need help oil leakage

I have a 2001 Audi A4 with 53000 miles on it. I never had any kind of problem with it and last month it had a 50000 mile service at the Audi showroom.

Yesterday, while coming back from my friends place I noticed that my steering wheel was very hard and making too much rubbing noise. It was so hard that it is very difficult to take right or left turns. When I looked under the car there was an oil leakage. It was late in the night and somehow I came home driving 5 miles and I am not sure what kind of damage that would have made to my car. It may be wrong but I think the oil leaking was power steering oil as the problem is with the steering wheel.

Please let me know what should be done at this point as my showroom is 10 miles away from here and I don’t think I will be able to drive this car on the interstate to go to the showroom.

Few Questions:

• Is there anyway that I can take my car to the showroom? Or do I have to call the towing truck?
• How much will it cost to fix the problem?
• I have the additional 50000 mile warranty i.e. total of 100000 mile. Will this be covered under the additional warranty?
• I drove 5 miles yesterday and I am not sure what kind of damage that made to the car.

Thanks in advance for all the valuable inputs.

- RCil

Old 07-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Default RE: Need help oil leakage

sounds like you burned your power steering pump out, unhook the power steering belt and see if its easier to turn the steering wheel

Old 07-30-2006, 05:11 PM

Thanks for your inputs.

When you said "I burned the power steering pump" does it burned becuase I drove 5 miles or it went bad because of the oil leakage. I am not sure how to take out the belt becuase I never did any repairs on cars before. Can you please provide me some details how to unhook the belt?

Edit: Can I know how much does it cost? Is this covered in the additional warranty?

Thanks,
RCil

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

sounds like you burned your power steering pump out, unhook the power steering belt and see if its easier to turn the steering wheel

Old 07-30-2006, 05:37 PM

because the steering went hard so I would assume the pump went south but it could also be the steering rack its self that's why I said remove the power steering belt ( if its the 1.8 or 1.9tdi ) if its the v6 then it doesnt have the luxury of a separate steering belt

Old 07-30-2006, 05:41 PM

Thanks. Mine is a 2.8 litre V6. Do I damage anything if I drive 10 miles?

Old 07-30-2006, 05:44 PM

yes you could if it runs out of fluid ( the pump ) but if you keep it topped up for that journey then you just might be ok but try to fix the leak if you can

Old 07-30-2006, 07:46 PM

I thank you for all your inputs. Can I please know what oil I have to use because I want to top it to go to the showroom.

Thanks,
RCIl

Old 07-30-2006, 07:49 PM

VW G 002 000 that's the fluid Audi use and you only need a liter

Old 07-30-2006, 07:57 PM

Thank you I go buy that now and top it tomorrow morning so that I can go to the showroom for repair. Can I know will this kind of problems were covered in the additional warranty? If not any idea how much do they charge and how long will it take.

I apologize if you think I am asking too many questions.

Thanks again for all the help.

-RCil

Old 07-30-2006, 08:01 PM

you only find the answers by asking so no problem there, the chances are the warranty will cover it

Quick Reply: Need help oil leakage