Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to install front plate bracket

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:26 PM
Default Need to install front plate bracket

My 01 A4 came from a state that didn't require front plates. The boys in blue have asked me nicely to display my front plate, but I cannot find any description on how to install the stock plate bracket (which I have purchased). Can anyone help? Is it as simple as screwing into the bumper material?

Thanks-
Dan

Old 08-14-2007, 11:26 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Need to install front plate bracket

Doesn't look like anyone wants to help. My assumption would be just to drill straight into the bumper. My old accord had four holes drilled straight into it (I took off the plate once to detail the bumper).

Old 08-14-2007, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

I wanna say that there is only two screws holding my front plate backing to the bumper, butt i also think im wrong haha. how ever many holes are in the backing you purchased drill. soo just line it up, make sure its level and centered mark the holes drill and use a screw and nut to hold it on.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:38 PM
1st Gear

hey i had to install one. it was recommended i use 3(?!?) screws to bolt the bracket on, and then (if yours is like mine) you screw the plate into the bracket no the bumper.

but yes it goes right in the bumper.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:15 AM
1st Gear

if you dont want to install it yourself i mean you could take itto your dealer...they would put it on but they would rip you off but you never know..

Old 08-15-2007, 01:35 PM

Thanks guys. Sounds like I was overthinking it. Just wanted to be sure that I wasn't supposed to take off the bumper and bolt it in from the back (which I was NOT prepared to do). Drilling into the bumper it will be.

Dan

Old 08-15-2007, 01:47 PM
1st Gear

God, I really hate that they ask us to ruin the look of the front end with a f***ing plate. [:@]

The only reason they past the dual plate law is so they have something flat for the radar and laser detectors to hit.(uncle is ex-CHP)

My bumper came with three small holes in a triangle pattern. The dealer told me they had to drill too for a Cali plate.

I said screw that and bought a German plate (that fit those three holes OEM style) Haven't gotten hassled by the boys in blue.

My sister's GTI is the same way, I got pulled over in her car for "No front license plate" told him it was in the trunk and there was no bracket for it. He looked and the front of her car and checked out the extra plate. Let me go on my way (no warning).

Just my 2 cents...

-C

Old 08-15-2007, 03:26 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: promethus

God, I really hate that they ask us to ruin the look of the front end with a f***ing plate. [:@]

The only reason they past the dual plate law is so they have something flat for the radar and laser detectors to hit.(uncle is ex-CHP)

My bumper came with three small holes in a triangle pattern. The dealer told me they had to drill too for a Cali plate.

I said screw that and bought a German plate (that fit those three holes OEM style) Haven't gotten hassled by the boys in blue.

My sister's GTI is the same way, I got pulled over in her car for "No front license plate" told him it was in the trunk and there was no bracket for it. He looked and the front of her car and checked out the extra plate. Let me go on my way (no warning).

Just my 2 cents...

-C

Your entire car aside from the windows is a laser target, why would we NEED a front tag to get a return? The front tag is just a bit easier to see and reflects more. We require front tags so your vehicle can be identified whether its being used in a crime, or lets say someone stole your car and we had a lookout for the tag. I somehow doubt you would be complaining then if an officer located your car because he noticed your tags behind him or on the opposite side of the roadway. This is why a front tag is truly required, to make your vehicle identifiable to both police and civilians.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:07 PM
2nd Gear

theres a cop on here!!??!??!??!!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:26 PM

ORIGINAL: promethus

Just my 2 cents...

-C

I've had radar guns used on me while skiing. The lic plate has nothing to do with the radar itself.
notahondaowener is gonna hate me for this, but I have had three warnings about nothaving a front plate, and I still don't, I hate the look too much.

Quick Reply: Need to install front plate bracket