Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

neuspeed,apr,giac

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 08:45 PM
1st Gear
Default neuspeed,apr,giac

so i know the GIAC and APR chips are 1.0 bar chips.Neuspeed has a new 1.0 bar chip and it claims 14.7 psi. So im wondering what makes the GIAC and APR chip so much better since all 3 are 1.0 bar chips? I used the search button but couldnt really find anything on the neuspeed 1.0 bar,all i could find was people flaming the older 0.8 car chip.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:34 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: neuspeed,apr,giac

ORIGINAL: jereme

so i know the GIAC and APR chips are 1.0 bar chips.Neuspeed has a new 1.0 bar chip and it claims 14.7 psi. So im wondering what makes the GIAC and APR chip so much better since all 3 are 1.0 bar chips? I used the search button but couldnt really find anything on the neuspeed 1.0 bar,all i could find was people flaming the older 0.8 car chip.
My take on this is simply where and WHEN you feel the power increase from the chip.
Is it a sudden jolt at 3k RPMS? Is it a smooth transition and it dies at the top-end?
Is it light from the start and climbs aggressively as it gets further into the powerband? Etc....

Also, people have different opinions on the same chip between a Tiptronic or a Manual.
From what I understand, some of the software doesn't "jive" well with the shiftpoints that are on the tiptronic systems.
This makes for herky-jerky driving at lower RPM's as the turbo spools up and down because it's expecting you to continue to accelerate.

I am by no means an expert, this is simply the way I understand it after trying to do research on my own, like you.
Feel free to let the experts chime in.

Old 06-23-2006, 10:19 PM

^^^agreed

Old 06-23-2006, 11:17 PM
1st Gear

yeah... i want to hear what some experts say.

Old 06-24-2006, 01:18 AM
3rd Gear

its all in the programing.. I have owned the APR 1.0 bar chip and now I own the giac chip for the Ko4 the non pc-16 file, been in a car with neuspeed.

the reason i say its all in the program is becasue each chip has different feul curves and the boost acts differently with each chip.. the APR was nice and smooth the fuel curve seamed to match up with the boost very nicely and I would say for someone that is just going to chip a car this is really the way to go(if your just looking to chip and be done), I also like the dahlback chip that also seams to be rather smooth. the GIAC from what i have read has the most power gains, but from what i have been experiencing the feul curve dosent match up as nice, and at low rmp's i have noticed a rich condition where i didnt see that with the APR chip, the boost seems to come on all at once instead of nice and smooth definatly seams to pull you back into your seat, but at the same time it just seams to be lacking the refinment of the apr and the dahlback. the neuspeed is the cheepest and you usually get what you pay for, was not really impressed with it.. apr dose not offer any Ko4 programs, if they had i may have come with them I want to do the other upgrades so i can see if the pc-16 file is any better from what i have been told it is..

as for boost with the apr a saw peaks as high as 20 whould fall back to 14-16 depending on weather conditions and would taper off to about 12 till read line, the giac (keep in mind this is with a Ko4) would peek as high as 25 fall back to 16 and satays at 17 but i had alot of surging so i put in the MBC and it peeks at 18 stays at 16-18 and in higher gears i get boost creaks up to 20 21
the dahback spiked at 18-21 go down to 16/17 and then hod 12 13 till red line.. neuspeed peaked at 17, 18 went to 14,15 and then broped off to 11 till red line..

thats all i got..

Old 06-24-2006, 02:03 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: JohnnyBravoA4

its all in the programing.. I have owned the APR 1.0 bar chip and now I own the giac chip for the Ko4 the non pc-16 file, been in a car with neuspeed.

the reason i say its all in the program is becasue each chip has different feul curves and the boost acts differently with each chip.. the APR was nice and smooth the fuel curve seamed to match up with the boost very nicely and I would say for someone that is just going to chip a car this is really the way to go(if your just looking to chip and be done), I also like the dahlback chip that also seams to be rather smooth. the GIAC from what i have read has the most power gains, but from what i have been experiencing the feul curve dosent match up as nice, and at low rmp's i have noticed a rich condition where i didnt see that with the APR chip, the boost seems to come on all at once instead of nice and smooth definatly seams to pull you back into your seat, but at the same time it just seams to be lacking the refinment of the apr and the dahlback. the neuspeed is the cheepest and you usually get what you pay for, was not really impressed with it.. apr dose not offer any Ko4 programs, if they had i may have come with them I want to do the other upgrades so i can see if the pc-16 file is any better from what i have been told it is..

as for boost with the apr a saw peaks as high as 20 whould fall back to 14-16 depending on weather conditions and would taper off to about 12 till read line, the giac (keep in mind this is with a Ko4) would peek as high as 25 fall back to 16 and satays at 17 but i had alot of surging so i put in the MBC and it peeks at 18 stays at 16-18 and in higher gears i get boost creaks up to 20 21
the dahback spiked at 18-21 go down to 16/17 and then hod 12 13 till red line.. neuspeed peaked at 17, 18 went to 14,15 and then broped off to 11 till red line..

thats all i got..
Well, that's more informative than most.....nice work.
I'm actually kind of surprised, because I had always heard that the GIAC chip was the smoothest of them all, and that APR was good, but didn't muscle up quite as much as the GIAC did.
REVO was brute strength, little finess - and NeuSpeed was basically the same.

Were you on the GIAC X?

Old 06-24-2006, 06:39 AM

ORIGINAL: JohnnyBravoA4

Kind of a bad example because you are comparing ko4 boost spikes to k03 boost spikes.

APR=smoother, broader powerband
GIAC=quick surge/throws you back in your seat

Lots of people who have been in both, many who have commented recently on this on the forums, have said that they were unimpressed with the APR chip after driving their GIAC chipped car.

Old 06-24-2006, 07:03 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: miked

Kind of a bad example because you are comparing ko4 boost spikes to k03 boost spikes.

APR=smoother, broader powerband
GIAC=quick surge/throws you back in your seat

Lots of people who have been in both, many who have commented recently on this on the forums, have said that they were unimpressed with the APR chip after driving their GIAC chipped car.
But again, we're back to the whole K03 / K04 or B5 / B6 / B7 thing.....

I wish someone would just round all of the numbers and comments up for each model and put them in a sticky for the next 1,000 people that are trying to find the answer.

Old 06-24-2006, 11:37 AM
2nd Gear

Neuspeed doesn't feel like 1 bar, even though it does boost to 15 psi. It's in the timing and fueling. Neuspeed is a very conservative company and will err on the side of safety. That means it's going to run rich. Rich = Less Power.

My '99.5 with Neuspeed is not the car I drive, so that's ok. I would say that to do it again, I would put the money toward GIAC, which I love in my '01. My '00 is still stock and driven by my wife, who used to drive the Neuspeed car. Her impression is that the '00 was quicker off the line. (BTW, she doesn't know the '99.5 had a chip, so don't tell her! [8D])

The interesting point is that she thought the unchipped car drove better than the chipped car. Kinda a blind taste test.

Old 06-24-2006, 11:45 AM
1st Gear

Well i have an APR dealer about 15 minutes from my house,and a GIAC dealer about an hour and a half away. So i was definatly thinking going with one of those until i found the link below. 200$ for the same 1.0 bar chip seems like a pretty good deal. But i guess everyone seems to think GIAC is the way to go,I guess another big thing with GIAC is the k04 software you can upgrade to.

NEUSPEED CHIP

Quick Reply: neuspeed,apr,giac