Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Car(to me) need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 04:36 PM
1st Gear
Default New Car(to me) need help!

Alright, I just bought a 1999 Audi A4 1.8L Turbo engine Automatic. I am familiar with cars, not so much turbo.

Bought it for 700 dollars with 174k miles on it. (needed rear body work)

When I start in drive it will start really slow, putter along and while doing so the exhaust will get louder. Then around 3-4k RPM's it will take off in that gear. Then when it shifts to 4-5th gear it will putter in 1-3k rpms again. I have been told it could be many things, the turbo leaking air, it spinning for some reason, bad turbo, some sensors that lead to fueling the engine, something with exhaust, But in all honesty, I HAVE NO IDEA!

The check engine light was on, so I was driving to Advanced Auto and right before I get there, it shuts off... It still says Service Insp. When I turn the vehicle on where the odo is but that is all.

The computer at the auto store read nothing(GREAT).

So I need some help, if anybody has heard of this, or similar problems, please reply!

Old 12-16-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Guru

You need to get it read by vag-com. Then let us know

Old 12-16-2011, 06:34 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

this is one of those things that could literally be...anything. still for $700 bucks you probably got a good deal. unfortunately, because of the four ring badging you also got yourself a bucket of headaches. definitely have it scanned by an audi specific scanner (vag-com) to get an idea of what problems are in the bucket

Old 12-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Tech Guru

Possibly coils or crank position or maf or whatever. Scan it already.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:39 AM
1st Gear

I went to advanced auto and they scanned it with a little orange handheld one and nothing at all came up, a buddy of mine said those are **** and I should get it scanned at a dealership, we change spark plugs last night(maybe it needed colder spark or something) some-what diagnosed the problem, could be fuel pump, car once was in a rear accident and just the body was fixed no mechanics, so when we drove it around it bogs out in low rpms like I said and maybe that's because its not getting enough gas to the engine? The gas tank is held up with a strap right now (LOL) so I am pretty sure that could be a problem, or it could be the coil packs. The ECU got hit a little bit and the car brain is just dumb, random door beeps, when the driving lights are on it beeps faintly like a police scanner, then when you turn the inside lights on it will stop? Power brakes and windows control unit ( above rear tire in trunk) got damaged, so they don't work, maybe that's it? The caution lights will randomly turn on aswell so I pulled the fuse while the car sits. Any ideas other than mine?

Old 12-17-2011, 08:01 AM
1st Gear

Also, the car is most definately an a4, but on the coil packs it says s4? Like most definately factory audi coil packs, four rings TM etc, made in germany, is that normal? Do they fit the same engine or did the previous owner do an engine swap?

Old 12-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Tech Guru

Just the gen of packs. Most likely soft miss due to packs.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:32 AM
1st Gear

Do you think I should replace the packs or the fuek pump first?

Old 12-17-2011, 09:42 AM
1st Gear

I called my local used parts store, coil packs 30 dollars a piece and fuel pump is 85 dollars

Old 12-17-2011, 09:43 AM
1st Gear

Do you reccomend on buying used parts? They have a 180 days gurantee