Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Forum - Already Need Help :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 01:39 PM
1st Gear
Default New to Forum - Already Need Help :(

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I just bought a 2001 Audi A4 with 37,500 miles on it. Silver/Blk Lthr - I got a great deal on it and it is still under factory warranty until March 22nd of 05'. But, Here are my concerns:

The car looks great, but I crawled up under it last night to check everything out and realized that there must be an oil leak somewhere since it's a oily mess under there. I am also smelling somewhat of a burning smell when my heat is on and NOT being circulated in the car. I also noticed that the oil fill mark is about 1/2 inch past the fill line. Should I be concerned about this?Aside from that, everything else seems to be pretty good.

It has had all of it's service done at a dealership and I am planning to take it in for it's 40K service this week. The pervious dealer that serviced it is sending me the warranty codes so I have proof that it has had it's scheduled maint.

I have been reading your posts on this site and see that there is this "sludge" problem on the A4's. I also read about the control arm/tie rod issues. Now that I think of it, I do hear a kinda strange noise when I turn the car to the RT while in motion. Anyways, I hope the dealer is cool and covers any problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an extended warranty? I heard of MBA Direct. Is that the best company to go with? I'm kinda freaking out now that I see these potential problems...

Thank you for all of your suggestions! Sorry to be so long winded.

Best Rgds,
Andrew

Old 01-26-2005, 01:43 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: New to Forum - Already Need Help :(

Hi General Jackson, welcome to the forum. so you are telling me the oil is half an inch above the max fill line???

Old 01-26-2005, 01:47 PM
1st Gear

Yes, the oil mark is 1/2 inch above the fill line on the dipstick. Am I screwed?

Thank you

Old 01-26-2005, 03:25 PM
6th Gear

Not screwed, I would get the level down to normal though. Clean all of the oil out of your engine bay. That way you can pin point oil leaks.

Old 01-26-2005, 04:57 PM
1st Gear

I guess I can loosen the oil bolt and let it slowly drip out until I get about 1/2 a quart out. Any suggestions on how to clean the engine bay? It is a real mess under there..

Thanks again for all of your help.

Andrew

Old 01-27-2005, 06:54 PM

if nothings painted you can go to a self car wash and they have an engine bay cleaner in the power sprayer

Old 01-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Site Moderator

It is possible that having too much oil in the engine has blown some seals. Not probable tho.
Still, with only 37K miles? Hard to believe it would be the cam seals already.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:06 PM
4th Gear

If it doesn't drip on the garage floor, the oil filter may have been changed sloppily.

Old 01-28-2005, 04:49 PM

better hope its not cross threaded. its really hard to get a die and a wrench up in there.

Old 01-28-2005, 05:23 PM
3rd Gear

take advantage of that warrenty

Quick Reply: New to Forum - Already Need Help :(