Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new here and looking for an audi a4

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 03:49 AM
Default new here and looking for an audi a4

hey guys, i am currently a 2001 mustang owner, but this is going to be sold within the next few weeks. So i have been looking at a4's. Can you guys give me the pro's and con's of the two engines in terms of performance and reliability the 1.8 and the 2.8. All the cars i have seen for sale have about 120,000 miles on them that are within my price range. Since i've been driving a ford... that's pretty much where fords die, is is the same with the audi's? I've heard some people say audi's are very reliable, and others complain that they always break down. I figure since you guys actually own them, you could give me a better review.
thanx, and any advice would be really appreciated.
-mike

Old 05-29-2006, 03:57 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: new here and looking for an audi a4

You should just buy my car.. only 17,000 miles on it....... but if not the 2.8 is supposedly the most reliable of the motors as along as the tbelts be done and its been properly maintained all its life..... the 1.8t has much more potential for power than the 2,8 but isnt as relaible in the long run but still a great motor

Old 05-29-2006, 04:01 AM

how long will the 1.8 last? assuming it's properly maintained

also i've been reading around on this forum, and people talk about chips... what sort of power would i get from the more reliable 2.8 if i put a chip in it... and is there even a chip out for it?

there are posts here that say 2.8 is more reliable, but slow... slow as in honda civic slow... or how bad is it? lol

Old 05-29-2006, 04:08 AM
1st Gear

no audi is honda civic slow

Old 05-29-2006, 04:13 AM

i would hope not lol... but is the 2.8 gonna be faster than my 2001 v6 mustang?

Old 05-29-2006, 04:21 AM
Site Moderator

No. A4's are heavy. Adding the weight of awd doesn't exactly help either.

As for the chip, it's not worth it on a 2.8. Out of the few people that have it, I've rarely heard anyone praise it. The good news is that there is another option for the 30v V6's. Supercharger.

With any A4 watch to make sure the maintenance has been done and ask what type of oil has been used. VW/Audi engines should only use full synthetic.

There's a few posts around here with a ton of info. Searches help you find whatever you may be looking for and get a lot less flak from people who have seen the same question 20 times.

Old 05-29-2006, 04:54 AM

You guys are making it sound like 1.8T's are breakin all over the place while 2.8's are set for life. My 01 1.8T has had no problems whatsoever in the 8k miles that ive had it and its at ~65,6xx. Just do a search and if you are lookin to mod without spending 5grand for a supercharger, get a 1.8t and if you are lookin for a nice car with less modability go with the 2.8. And get quattro fer sho, you'll never wanna go back!

Old 05-29-2006, 06:49 PM

both the 2.8 and 1.8T need to have the timing belt done around 120 kilometers but this is not a fault this is just maintance as for both the control arms where the ball joints are built into them and the tie rod ends these are wear items and just like any car they will not last forever Audi's are just like every other car on the road for maintance and wear items I don't know why some people are so harsh on them

Old 05-29-2006, 07:33 PM
1st Gear

I myself have had no issues that the I,8t engine would of caused if I had a 2.8. Its not like the 1.8t breaks all the time, with a turbo setup come more strain on an engine with obviously can cause more issues. SO yes 1.8t can have more issues but doesnt nessisarily says its going to. Its pot luck =)

Old 05-29-2006, 11:50 PM
4th Gear

Yea alot of ppl, myself included sometimes, talk **** about a 1.8T. In actually it is a reliable vehicle that if properly maintained will last a long time. Because of the added hardware it just has greater potential for something to break, as long as one knows what they're getting into I'd say a 1.8T is a pretty good choice. Some cars are just money pits regardless.Personally I just prefer NA.