Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new here. looking for a used A4

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Default new here. looking for a used A4

i really wanna keep the cost under 10K. what problems should i know about. is there a max mileage i should be looking for. what are the advantages of the 1.8T as opposed to the 2.8 engine? i do plan to try to make this car a little faster, i wanna hit at LEAST high 13's/low 14's in the quarter mile. how can i do this? im assuming the 1.8t is a faster car, or at least it has more potential to be fast. is this an incorrect assumption? thanks for your help guys

edit: also, i seem to have trouble finding a 5 speed manual. all the ones im finding have been automatics. how are the automatic transmissions on these cars?

Old 05-27-2006, 04:14 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: new here. looking for a used A4

My suggestion is to use this https://www.audiforums.com/search.asp. This question is asked by someone new almost everyday. Stock 2.8 is a bit faster but there are very few mods for it. There are alot of mods for a 1.8T and it has much greater potentiol. In a nutshell 2.8 reliable and slow, 1.8T VERY modable and unreliable. Oh yea good luck getting into low 14s if your budget is under 10k lol

Old 05-27-2006, 05:07 PM
Administrator

hmm i would reccomend a 2.8 like a 1998 one, then save a few more pennies and get the supercharger.. you will be slightly over budget but it will be reliable as all hell.. if you get the 1.8T then you will already be over budget getting it into the time you want, and it wont be as reliable, so that might make you spend more on maintenance

Old 05-27-2006, 05:14 PM

so what kinda total am i looking at for a 2.8 with a supercharger? also, is the 2.8 harder to find in a manual? what kind of power/times would i be putting out? so i have to worry about the AWD drivetrain components (i.e shattered rear ends from launching, etc) cause for 11 or 12 grand, i could already have a supercharged mustang gt pushing close to 400hp/400 torque.

Old 05-27-2006, 05:29 PM
4th Gear

For a 98+ 2.8 with under 100k your looking at around 8-10k. Then around 4-5k for a supercharger, intake, exhaust and minor stuff. Audi upgrades are not cheap. Yes manual 2.8s are very hard to find but they're out there. With a supercharger your definitely in the low 14s if not high 13s. A few guys on here have them so check out the timeslip section. Drivetrain on audis are solid so no worries there, just be prepared to change the stock clutch. Alot of guys burn out the clutch because they floor the gas on launch, something you shouldn't do on an AWD. Well so far your way over budget and yes you would go alot faster in a mustang but its no Audi. Alot of 1.8 guys will disagree but when you do the math you actually save money on overall costs with 2.8.

Old 05-27-2006, 07:01 PM

how many miles is the stock 2.8 block good for? especially with forced induction?

Old 05-27-2006, 11:47 PM
4th Gear

The block is pretty sturdy it can go well over 175k. But as you probably know already if your gonna do forced induction at high psi you wanna beef up the internals.