Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie with a question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 02:28 PM
Default Newbie with a question?

Hello to all, go easy on me, I am a newbie. I am in the market for a nice 4DSD sporty vehicle. My buddy has an A4, and he suggested I give them a look. I found a 2002 A4, V6 3.0 Liter, Quattro AWD, 31,980 miles. It is coming from an AUDI dealer. Any thoughts or advice on this vehicle. Any problems, I should know about prior to walking in. Is that a decent price? Thanks to all.
SAMMY

PS: They are asking $24,900

Old 09-22-2005, 04:40 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Newbie with a question?

You gotta give a price before people can determine if its a good one.

Old 09-22-2005, 05:08 PM
Site Moderator

the first problem is that your getting it from an Audi stealership.... Any place that thinks they can get away with charging $95/hour in labor probably will get away with price gouging these highly desireable schweet *** cars. Cars are bad investments because they dont appreciate. Youll get the best value/deal through a private party, or some small dealership who isnt out to make a killing. A4 is probably not as reliable as a Honda, Toyota, etc. The cost of upkeep on these cars is worth the driving experience, only if you dont have it serviced at the dealership. For example, I did my timing belt, tensioner, roller, water pump, engine mount, and all other belts for $360. The Audi dealership would have charged me over $1300 for this. When it comes to used cars cut the middle man out (and his fee) and go private party and make sure its in good shape for the price. It just takes a lot of research, but its worth it. I hate to bragg, but I got my 2000 with 70k miles for $8500 with new tires and nothing wrong mechanicaly or cosmeticaly. Timing belt and the other stuff i mentioned are routine maintinence obviously. I just dont understand the theory of getting a used car from the manufature's dealership. Your simply going to pay more than you have to, no matter what.

Old 09-22-2005, 05:10 PM
1st Gear

agreed ... it's the lazy way out, especially if you're mechanically inclined and can evaluate a used car. at that kind of mileage it'll still be under warranty anyway.

Old 09-22-2005, 05:12 PM

Point well taken, for some uncanning reason, I feel more comfortable purchasing from a dealership. It is comes certified, extended warranty. As far routine maintenance, I have a mechanic that will take care of that.

Old 09-22-2005, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

I have a 98 A4 quattro 1.8T.. I have a rattle from the rear driverside of the car.. it rattles only on small bumps and low speeds. It sounds tinny, but I cant trace it to the exhaust. It is something with the rear suspension I am guessing? Has anyone seen or had this issue?? Please respond asap!!
joe

Old 09-22-2005, 06:16 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: jbvandew

I have a 98 A4 quattro 1.8T.. I have a rattle from the rear driverside of the car.. it rattles only on small bumps and low speeds. It sounds tinny, but I cant trace it to the exhaust. It is something with the rear suspension I am guessing? Has anyone seen or had this issue?? Please respond asap!!
joe
create a topic about in in general tech or A4 you'll get mroe responses

Old 09-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: jbvandew

joe
Have you had any work done on your brakes, lately? Put it up on a rack, or prop it up on a jackstand and start checking around for something not bolted down tight. If yu've had recent brake work done it's possible that something wans't completely tightened when they put it all back together.

Old 09-22-2005, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

Sandman512... I'm a new owner. Price aside (it is important but secondary for me), when you concider the capabilities of these cars and the track records... 4WD, performance, crash pertection and looks. There is no question why you should buy an Audi.

Having rolled an A4 4 times at high speed and walked away with no scrapes and only a few bruises... the questions is not "should you buy an Audi...", it is "why would you think about buying anything else!!"

Old 09-22-2005, 09:12 PM
1st Gear

I would go private myself, however you can wheel and deal because the used car market is crazy right now. Pick out another car in the paper. Then go to the dealership and tell them you are going to buy that car. Chances are they will give you a better deal. If not, buy the car from a private owner. Also, you should buy from somone who bought the car new. (if you're worried about how well it was taken care of)