Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie question about Chips

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 05:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Newbie question about Chips

Hey All, I have a 2000 A4 Auto Quattro with around 90k on it, and I'm thinking of chipping it to get a little extra juice from the engine. my questions are.....1) is it worth it (will I notice a difference?), 2) will it hurt the engine/tranny with over 90k on it? and 3) does anyone recommend a good vendor in the Central NJ area?

thanks a million!!

Old 05-18-2004, 07:29 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Newbie question about Chips

yeah you will notice it. you should be ok as long as you mantain your car well. www.goapr.com

Old 05-19-2004, 04:52 AM
Site Moderator

Active do you work for APR? [&:] Why not suggest other tuners in addition to APR so he can get some different choices?

Neuspeed
GIAC
Wetteraurer
MTM

There are others too: Upsolute, Revo...

Old 05-20-2004, 04:14 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: brrman

Active do you work for APR? [&:] Why not suggest other tuners in addition to APR so he can get some different choices?

Neuspeed
GIAC
Wetteraurer
MTM

There are others too: Upsolute, Revo...
Right with ya on this one brrman! Except you link AWE as GIAC. AWE is one of many tuners who use GIAC software, not the only one.

Old 05-20-2004, 05:43 AM
Site Moderator

UH - I know about GIAC - I have a GIAC chip myself...
I was simply giving a vendor for each chip tuner...

Old 05-20-2004, 12:07 PM
3rd Gear

UH - I know about GIAC - I have a GIAC chip myself...
I was simply giving a vendor for each chip tuner...
Uhmmm.... actually, it looks like you gave the homepage to the other's direct manufacturer, but with GIAC you gave AWE.

Am I wrong in this?
Neuspeed = Neuspeed's homepage http://www.neuspeed.com/
Wetteraurer = Wetteraurer's homepage http://www.chip-tuning.com/
MTM = Hoppen Motorsports is the only rep/tuner in the U.S., right? So it would make sense to link it rather than http://www.mtm-online.de/index_en.htm

But....
GIAC = Garrett's homepage http://www.giacusa.com/

Just an observation; not trying to pick on you.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:32 PM
Site Moderator

What the hell - you want to argue about this now? give it a rest, dude. There's no need of it - unless you trying to prove something.

It so happens I used the manuf as the vendor I wanted to give. And you cannot buy direct from GiacUsa. Man, I am totally lost to the point of your last post. Do you have nothing to do today or something?

Old 05-20-2004, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys for the posts! Brrrman, do you think that it would be ok to chip a 2000 A4 with 90k+ miles on it? (I've done the waterpump, and timing belt). Would there be a significant increase in power, do you think?

Also, do you know how to access the Audi's computer? I'd love to be able to look at the Diagnostic codes. Is it just hooking up a laptop to a certain port or something?

thanks!

Old 05-20-2004, 05:16 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: skibum0019

Thanks guys for the posts! Brrrman, do you think that it would be ok to chip a 2000 A4 with 90k+ miles on it? (I've done the waterpump, and timing belt). Would there be a significant increase in power, do you think?

Also, do you know how to access the Audi's computer? I'd love to be able to look at the Diagnostic codes. Is it just hooking up a laptop to a certain port or something?

thanks!
I don't think mileage is a significant issue when deciding on a chip; I'd be more directly concerned with whether the engine overall can handle the increase in boost/power. It would be very wise to upgrade those parts that are directly affected by the increase such as the DV.
The best way to access the codes is through a product known as a VAG-COM. It is downloaded onto your laptop and then, via a port, you access the codes in your car. It can be purchased directly from the software manufacturer in PA at: http://www.ross-tech.com/

Old 05-20-2004, 05:24 PM
3rd Gear

What the hell - you want to argue about this now? give it a rest, dude. There's no need of it - unless you trying to prove something.

It so happens I used the manuf as the vendor I wanted to give. And you cannot buy direct from GiacUsa. Man, I am totally lost to the point of your last post. Do you have nothing to do today or something?
[]
Sorry brrman... you were right. I was absolutely bored this morning and had nothing to do. I couldn't find anything else to talk about, so the baboon in my head told me to write about your post. I really didn't mean anything by it and was just wasting time. If I offended you in any way, I apologize. You always have something worthy to say and, for that, I'm sure many readers are grateful. I was just nitpicking at something that really didn't matter in the long run.

Ok... so now I'm going to go feed the baboon and put him back in his cage.[:-]

Quick Reply: Newbie question about Chips