AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A4 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/)
-   -   Nice sunday drive, yeah right!!! (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/nice-sunday-drive-yeah-right-62056/)

Babz 04-29-2007 02:45 AM

Nice sunday drive, yeah right!!!

[:@][:@][:@]I was cruising along and there goes mywater temp all the way to 110 degrees celcius. My warning light comes on and i quickly turn the car off.My waterlevel looked a little low. So i drive it home stoping along the way a few times. Iget under the car, open the coverand right in my face, green $#iT drips from the side of the water pump. So no work for the next day or twoand on with the cambelt and water pump.

less_of_me 04-29-2007 06:40 AM

RE: Nice sunday drive, yeah right!!!

green? You don't have g12 fluid, or do they make it in green?

Belligerenceā„¢ 04-29-2007 06:49 AM

no, they don't make green G12. you'll want to be sure to stop by a VW dealership and pick some up when you do the TB/WP job. I'm not sure if it's necessary but you may even want to flush your entire cooling system to get the green sh*t outta there.

Babz 04-29-2007 09:01 AM

Yeap the green stuff is anti-rust/freeze. Most cars use it here. There is also brownish stuff, and redish stuff thatyou can buy here,all do the same thing.

Belligerenceā„¢ 04-29-2007 09:21 AM

yeah I know what the green stuff is, lol. the thing is, your audi's engine and cooling system were designed to run with a specific type of coolant. this is what G12 is, it's the audi/VW-specified coolant/antifreeze. it's pink in colour I believe.

so no, they aren't all equal. I'd highly recommend you buy the proper coolant for your car.

Babz 04-29-2007 10:35 AM

Thanx Belligerence, il look into the G12 stuff. Havent seen any pink stuff in any VW or Audi here yet. Do you think i could claim this from theworkshop i got my last service from.? mmmmm. they filled it up with green stuff.My car has done 116000 KM though. My WP was due i think.

onepoint8tee 04-29-2007 01:33 PM

The green stuff wont cause your water pump to leak. It might cause your coolant pathage ways to get gelled/gunked up, but it woulnt create a leak. Deffinately to a flush. The only colored coolant ive seen at the dealer around here is either pink or blue. Both are different types ofG12.

Babz 04-29-2007 06:23 PM

There is some blockage some where. Becaus when i got home and refilledthe watertank it only took like a glass. so i took it for a drive and it still heated up.I realised the water level was not thatlow but rather the water was not getting circulated.Could bethe pump itself or a blockage.Il trydoing a proper flush and see how it goes.If it works then il hold off till the weekend to do my TB/WP job.

Babz 04-30-2007 05:14 AM

After opening up my cambelt and ringing around for a cambelt kit, found out Audi dont make the 152 x 25mm belt anymore. They have replaced it with a 153 teeth belt and all new idler tensioner and so and soto go with it. Trade discount price is setting me back $708 for the kitincluding water pump.
Normal price is$874 [:-][:-]. Damnthat realy blew me away. Oh well got tobe done.

CRAZYHAWK 04-30-2007 12:38 PM

1New ZealandDollar= 0.74 US Dollar

$708 NZ = $542 US still expensive