Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nice sunday drive, yeah right!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 02:45 AM
Default Nice sunday drive, yeah right!!!

[:@][:@][:@]I was cruising along and there goes mywater temp all the way to 110 degrees celcius. My warning light comes on and i quickly turn the car off.My waterlevel looked a little low. So i drive it home stoping along the way a few times. Iget under the car, open the coverand right in my face, green $#iT drips from the side of the water pump. So no work for the next day or twoand on with the cambelt and water pump.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:40 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Nice sunday drive, yeah right!!!

green? You don't have g12 fluid, or do they make it in green?

Old 04-29-2007, 06:49 AM

no, they don't make green G12. you'll want to be sure to stop by a VW dealership and pick some up when you do the TB/WP job. I'm not sure if it's necessary but you may even want to flush your entire cooling system to get the green sh*t outta there.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:01 AM

Yeap the green stuff is anti-rust/freeze. Most cars use it here. There is also brownish stuff, and redish stuff thatyou can buy here,all do the same thing.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:21 AM

yeah I know what the green stuff is, lol. the thing is, your audi's engine and cooling system were designed to run with a specific type of coolant. this is what G12 is, it's the audi/VW-specified coolant/antifreeze. it's pink in colour I believe.

so no, they aren't all equal. I'd highly recommend you buy the proper coolant for your car.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:35 AM

Thanx Belligerence, il look into the G12 stuff. Havent seen any pink stuff in any VW or Audi here yet. Do you think i could claim this from theworkshop i got my last service from.? mmmmm. they filled it up with green stuff.My car has done 116000 KM though. My WP was due i think.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Site Moderator

The green stuff wont cause your water pump to leak. It might cause your coolant pathage ways to get gelled/gunked up, but it woulnt create a leak. Deffinately to a flush. The only colored coolant ive seen at the dealer around here is either pink or blue. Both are different types ofG12.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:23 PM

There is some blockage some where. Becaus when i got home and refilledthe watertank it only took like a glass. so i took it for a drive and it still heated up.I realised the water level was not thatlow but rather the water was not getting circulated.Could bethe pump itself or a blockage.Il trydoing a proper flush and see how it goes.If it works then il hold off till the weekend to do my TB/WP job.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:14 AM

After opening up my cambelt and ringing around for a cambelt kit, found out Audi dont make the 152 x 25mm belt anymore. They have replaced it with a 153 teeth belt and all new idler tensioner and so and soto go with it. Trade discount price is setting me back $708 for the kitincluding water pump.
Normal price is$874 [:-][:-]. Damnthat realy blew me away. Oh well got tobe done.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:38 PM
4th Gear

1New ZealandDollar= 0.74 US Dollar

$708 NZ = $542 US still expensive

Quick Reply: Nice sunday drive, yeah right!!!