Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change gone Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Default Oil Change gone Bad?

ok... so i got my oil changed at speedi oil on my 98 1.8T A4 Quattro... i know i know... first bad idea...

so i tell them that i want mobil 1 full synthic and the mobil 1 extend performance filter...
when i got outta the place i looked at my engine bay and all i could see under the oil filter was oil...
I was assuming that they made a mess when they took out the oil filter...
but today... 2 days after... i am getting out of my work parkign lot and i see some kind of a puddle...
i got next to it to inspect it and it looks like oil...
now im wondering wtf they did to my car...
could it be oil that was caught in the splash guard? and now that i was parkign in a somewhat slented parking lot the oil started dripping from the splash guard? or could this be something more serious?

I was feeling uncomfortable when I asked him how many quarts he had put in there and he said 3.75 while the car manual says 4.5 quarts...

Can anyone tell me what i should do?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:51 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Oil Change gone Bad?

they probably didn't drain out all the oil. also, check ur oil dipstick, it could be broken so they only put in 3.75 quarts. u should keep a bottle of oil in ur trunk just in case and don't u ever go back to a place like that again. u can do the oil change urself using ur jack in the back of the car. all it is is a 19mm bolt and the filter comes off by hand. i don't think it's even worth it going back and complaining.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:53 PM
1st Gear

change your own oil... its really not that hard

and i would say get under there and check it out

Old 11-28-2007, 10:56 PM

thanks for the reply... and i did told them that my dipstick was broken... and he said yah that car only takes 3.75 quarts...

but now im scared that they left that nut unscrewed or something...

i mean... there was a puddle of oil under my car about 45 minuted ago when i left work... but now im wondering if it was from it being on a slanted parkign lot and all the oil that got in the splash guard spilled out...

I feel like i should go there and ask for a refund... cause thats just not right...

if this helps they were all a bunch of younger guys... oldest prob being 24

Old 11-28-2007, 11:02 PM
5th Gear

no i doubt the splash guard could hold that much oil. plus it should've drained out when u were driving. ur definitely leaking oil and most likely from the plug.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

do yourself a favour and get under your car. changing the oil is home mechanics 101. sounds like a bunch of yahoos might have caused some potential damage. jack it u, and redo the oil change. take some pics of the mess and send an emaikl to the corporate speedy office along with a request for a refund. at least you'll have the peace of mind of knowing that your not driving on a dry engine and you might even get your cash back.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:05 PM

im am so freakign furious... i dont even know if i should drive it to school tomorow cause its 45 min away...

and i gotta leave my house before that place opens up....

what do you think i should say to them... besides them being fu<kin retared!?

Old 11-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: drp1489

change your own oil... its really not that hard

and i would say get under there and check it out
If you do that and he gets sludge then there is no warranty if his engine blows up, you need receipts, take it to a good euro shop.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:42 PM

auditech79... do u have any clue what the problem might be? before this oil change there was never oil spilling.... do you think that the oil plug is loose?

Old 11-28-2007, 11:50 PM
Site Moderator

The oil filter sits right on top of the subframe, if they didn't try to catch the oil with a plastic bag or something (what i do) it will spill tons of oil on the subframe and if they didn't clean it there would be oil dripping off your belly pan for days. I've had a few come backs for that in my time even after i cleaned off the subframe.

Quick Reply: Oil Change gone Bad?