Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? on painting lowers

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 02:59 PM
1st Gear
Default ? on painting lowers

I have b6 and the lowers come flat gray and the car is dolphin grey, don't like the way it looks and I have a rieger front spoiler that is black, well I went to a couple of body shops and they told me they could paint it but would not warranty it because of the material, they said it would start to peel and chip, has anybody painted the factory lowers and how is it holding up. I saw the diy paint but I want to know how it holds up on the factory rockers and valance. thanks for any help.

Old 03-13-2006, 03:06 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: ? on painting lowers

ORIGINAL: bajamoon

I have b6 and the lowers come flat gray and the car is dolphin grey, don't like the way it looks and I have a rieger front spoiler that is black, well I went to a couple of body shops and they told me they could paint it but would not warranty it because of the material, they said it would start to peel and chip, has anybody painted the factory lowers and how is it holding up. I saw the diy paint but I want to know how it holds up on the factory rockers and valance. thanks for any help.

I have gotten the same response from a body shop about painting my stock lowers on the B5. The reason is that most of the lower trim is rubber, esp. on the bottom of the doors. They are this was so tjhat they can move and shift when needed. And of course, when they move/shift/bend, any paint on them will simply start cracking. Does anyone have a good answer as to how they painted their lowers in a manner that the paint wont crack?

Old 03-13-2006, 03:56 PM
3rd Gear

Everyone has their lowers painted, and I haven't heard of anyones paint cracking or chipping. Just have them do it, and use a flex agent. They just say that so they are not liable.

Old 03-13-2006, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

I did it to my dads B6 about a year ago and its holding just fine. Don't worry about it.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:14 PM

Ok, so it sounds like they won't chip from flex. My question is, how well will it hold up to chipping from rocks, salt etc? My front bumper (painted) got hit pretty hard this winter and there are a ton of ugly chips in it now. If i paint my lowers... (DIY) I don't want it to look like crap because of excessive chipping. I figure- this is why audi (on the B6's) didn't paint them for the first few years?

The NE roads are loaded w/ salt during the winter...