Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Persistant Ignition Coil Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 11:36 PM
1st Gear
Default Persistant Ignition Coil Problems

I own a 2002 A4 1.8T which I bought new in May 2002. In December of 2002 my first problem with ignition coils. Once my car started shaking and the CEL starting blinking, I took the car in to the dealership and they fixed it under warranty, but at the same time told me they could only replace one ignition coil due to a limited supply from the factory in Germany. This first fix left me without my AWD car in the nastiest of snow storms of the season, so needless to say, I was not happy. Then about two months after this first fix, the same problem occurred with a different coil and I had to go through the process all over again. After going back and forth with the service department regarding them not replacing all the ignition coils (still because of a small supply) so this would not continue to happen, I finally resorted to the Better Business Bureau. All four ignition coils were replaced within 2 days. Shortly after this, I received word of the obviously anticipated coil recall.

I figured the problem was over. Nope, same problem in Winter 2003. Since I drive my car over 30k a year, my warranty was up and I had to fix the problem without it being free. The same thing happened in Winter 2004 and then it just happened to me yesterday on my way home from a 200 mile trip. The trip was all highway driving and once I got up enough momentum, the car would stop shaking as badly, so I continued to drive. After all, I had to get home and I was not about to get it towed 200 miles. I also read in the manual that with this problem, you are still able to drive the car with less power and to try to accelerate less than normal.

I have read many posts regarding ignition coil problems, but none actually address the problem of Audi, they mainly focus on the mechanical and replacement aspects of the coils. So herein lies my question: Does anyone have any information on where I can get in touch with someone in Audi who can help me with this relentless problem? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for possibly getting some money in return from Audi for this annual hassle?

Sorry for the long post, but I felt background information was necessary to fully explain the issue I keep dealing with.

Old 01-30-2006, 11:45 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Persistant Ignition Coil Problems

You can stick it to the man (audi) by test driving one of their cars and swapping parts. Other than that, your fvcked.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:08 AM
2nd Gear

maby its not the coils...

ignition control module maby?

Old 01-31-2006, 01:41 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: luvin_the_rings

maby its not the coils...

ignition control module maby?
Well every time this happens to me, I replace the coils (all four every time) and everything turns back to normal...

Would this be the case if there was also a problem with the ignition control module (or maybe in fact something other than that)?

Old 01-31-2006, 03:45 AM
1st Gear

All I know is that there was a recall by audi on the ignition coils.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:20 PM
1st Gear

Theres no ign module on the B6 A4 so thats not the problem

I do know they are always updating the coils for that engine maybe you got the not so new ones????

Old 01-31-2006, 08:36 PM
1st Gear

The thing is, after the last time, I remember the dealership who sold me the coils telling me (and my mechanic can vouch for this) that the coils they were selling me were the up to date, latest one's they had at the time. I'm not sure if they are continually updating these things, but it seems ridiculous that this has happened to me four times already.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:11 AM

I have a 2004 Audi 1.8T. My ignition coil (i think) broke on me again.. If this is the problem, third time replacing it. The problem is not im done with the 50k mile warranty. Does anyone know how much to change at the dealer. Would they replace it for free since it the third time. ??

Old 06-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Site Moderator

What makes you think a coil pack is broke again???
You dont need to resurect old threads to ask a question btw. Just post a new one.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:56 PM
1st Gear

ok... since there is alot of confusion with the coil packs, you can test it next time your car starts spittin..

while it is sputtering keep the car running...

now, open the hood, and one at a time pull the coils out....if the motors hesitation gets worse, that coil is fine.
replace it, motor will go back to its original stutter, go to the next coil....pull it, if the stutter stays the same, and doesn't get worse, that is the coil pack that is bad. go though all the coils to see which ones are done for and need replacing...

next to test it is the coil pack and not the spark plug

say cyl. 2 is not firing, turn off the car, unplug cyl. 2 & 3 coilpacks from wire harness, swap them.
turn on the car again, and pull one at a time untill the hessitation stays the same again...if the problem follows the coil pack, replace the coil pack...if it is still a problem at the same cyl. and did not follow the coilpack, it is either wiring or spark plug!!

congrats...

if you need to replace them buy all 4 (or 6(depending on motor you have)) at the same time,once one goes, they all will start to go.

Go to ecstuning.com, and buy the ECS ignition solutions package, there is three stages, one comes with just the coils, next comes with coils and heatshield for wiring, and third comes with coils plugs and heat shield.

your choice, but do not buy the OEM ones....they suck and the ECS ones come with little bolts to hold them down... i've had problems with the OEM ones pop up out of the shaft...wierd i know but the ECS ones are the way to go....

Hope this helps!!!

Quick Reply: Persistant Ignition Coil Problems