Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pioneer AVIC Z1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Administrator
Default RE: pioneer AVIC Z1?

avic411 is a great site! i have learned a ton within the past few months from that site!

Old 03-29-2007, 12:01 AM
1st Gear

Yeah but considering you can use Norton Ghost to upgrade your hard drive, who needs the iPod? I have upgraded mine to a 60 gig and gave the wife back her iPod...

Old 03-29-2007, 01:28 AM
Administrator

Really?? What kind of HD does it take??

Old 03-29-2007, 01:39 AM
1st Gear

Takes a laptop hard drive. You'll need an adapter which will allow you to slave the drive as a secondary then run norton ghost. I may do a DIY on it one day but don't want anyone blaming me. I took the risk but I work in IT so I figured, screw it!
One of my friends with an STI is trying to build a car PC with touch screen and he's pretty sure he can do it all for under 1500 or close to that. He showed me pics from his Subaru forum and I was like god damn that's tight. He already bought a 8 inch touch screen so I'm just waiting to see. I already paid for my stuff so it's out of the question for me.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:44 AM
Administrator

So your telling me that your willing to help me do the HD once i get the deck?

Old 03-29-2007, 01:48 AM
1st Gear

Funny guy[8D]I'm willing to post what I did in the format of DIY. I will just take my drive back out and take pics/document everything I did. I can't post a copy of Norton Ghost of course. Total process is about 1 - 1 1/2 hours

Old 03-29-2007, 01:49 AM
Administrator

damn that aint bad but all in all the only thing you could really screw up is your "new" hd right?

either way it sounds like its worth the risk

Old 03-29-2007, 01:57 AM
1st Gear

You're correct to a point. I just don't like messing with other people's money you know? I wouldn't want someone messing with mine. I didn't think it was hard and no, you can't ruin your Z1 HD unless you don't put the adapter on right (it could fry the drive). I've seen people blow drives up. Maybe I'll start my own business just selling drives so that way I don't feel like **** if I tell someone how to do it and they blow their drive up! That way, I can get some more stuff for my ride sooner! I don't have any more laptops to sell and just bought a plasma, I'm lazy and my house is new so I'm paying Magnolia Hi-Fi to mount it along with the surrund sound I just bought! It's like damn, I just spend 870 for some **** I prolly could've done myself then I could've bought tires for the used rims I'm getting shipped from a guy on fourtitude.com

Old 03-29-2007, 02:01 AM
Administrator

LOL i hear ya.. Wouldnt be a bad idea to mirror the hard drives and sell them and tell them to install at there own risk

Old 03-29-2007, 02:06 AM
1st Gear

True dat....I'll keep that in my back pocket as something to think about. Afterall, you still have your old drive to fall back on if the new one fails. The stock one is a Seagate which is very common. Not only does Redgoat have a sweet drive but the guy motivates me! This weekend, I'm going to ghost my stock one again and post it on eBay with that same idea. BTW goat...Went to CarToys today and they can do another carbon fiber for you but more along the lines of carbon fiber looking leather type material. Still for 120 though. Mine is kind of a one-off. I'm not worried about the cash so we are straight on that front. They were pretty busy when I went there and like I said, since they need to work on my grounding for the subs, they will just take mine as a template. I just lied and was like, 5 people I know with A4's want one too so he was like, for sure of course...love sales people.

Quick Reply: pioneer AVIC Z1?