Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP? greatly apreciated

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Default PLEASE HELP? greatly apreciated

Tommorow I am planning to buy a 97 AUDI A4 1.8T
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...p=y&cardist=20

I test drove it and it runs fine everything is clean and all, but I hear the timing belts need to be changed like every 45-60k miles. As you can see it is at 126k. Also on the autocheck http://www.autocheck.com/consumers/g...BB88D0VA079435 it has like 24 records.

Do you guys think it is worth $6000? Or even worth buying?

Old 07-19-2005, 09:38 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: PLEASE HELP? greatly apreciated

Why dont you buy the history?

Old 07-19-2005, 03:27 PM
4th Gear

Welcome to the forum.

Run a search on the site for the usual things to check on a used Audi. Get a Carfax report and have a mechanic look it over. Find out when the timing belt was done.

Old 07-19-2005, 03:35 PM
1st Gear

I have unlimited carfax searches so let me know if you want me to look up the history before you buy. Like others said, it's always essential to take the car to a mechanic first.

Old 07-19-2005, 03:39 PM
5th Gear

welcome to the forums, jcho87. you can search in the off topic forum for a couple threads regarding carfax account holders, someone may be able to get the full carfax history for you without you having to pay the 25 bucks or whatever it is....as far as things to check out during the test drive, look out for these things....

ORIGINAL: bentframe

make sure the suspension is good....worn control arms will squeak, tie rod ends will clunk when you hit bumps, cv joints will click during low speed turns (if you're on the gas), open up the oil cap to look for signs of oil sludge (this is especially important with the 1.8Ts)...do the same for the power steering fluid, as well as the coolant. sometimes people top them off or refill them with regular fluids and that can cause big problems including sludge issues....test the cruise control, the switches are known to fail (typically it's an easy fix, a good way to knock a few bucks off the price ). make sure the sunroof is fully functional as well as windows (check each door's switch individually)..listen on the freeway for a humming/grinding sound for failing wheel bearings..oh, and leave the radio OFF during the test drive, test the speakers before or after driving....also consider the mileage on the timing belt, they need to be done every 60-90k miles....search the forums, there are TONS of threads on all this stuff...

130k is somewhat high for a 1.8T, but if it was taken care of properly, you should be ok...the timing belt has already been done once, it's HIGHLY unlikely that the original belt would last 126k miles...we can't really comment on the price because the prices vary so much depending on what area you're in

EDIT: idrunk, you should post that you've got an active carfax account in the OT thread we have...we would greatly appreciate it

Old 07-19-2005, 03:42 PM

ORIGINAL: IdrunkI

I have unlimited carfax searches so let me know if you want me to look up the history before you buy.
ha, that sounds legal. some of the admins get mad if they see that, maybe shoot a PM over next time.

Old 07-19-2005, 03:44 PM
5th Gear

it's not illegal, he paid for an account, he can look up whatever vin he wants...i don't think any of the mods have a problem with it

Old 07-19-2005, 03:52 PM
1st Gear

Just wanted to help out. I did pay for unlimited searches so I don't see anything wrong with it. Just trying to help save someone some money, maybe even $6,000 if the car turns out to be messed up.

Old 07-19-2005, 03:59 PM

hah i wasnt rippin on you for helping someone out man, i was just saving you from any trouble with the admins.

but it would be illegal because YOU paid for unlimited searches, not whoever you are handing them out to. no worries though.

Old 07-19-2005, 05:29 PM
1st Gear

back to the point ... $6k seems a little high for a front driver with automatic, no sport package, no mods, etc. i'd offer him $4.5k to $5k and see how he reacts. the guy will have a tough time selling it to anyone who has money to spend (> $5k). but for the right price, you can get several more good years out of it. just be prepared to put whatever you save in price in the bank for repairs.

that said ... i'm on the east coast so it's hard for me to say what it's worth on the other side of this great country.

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP? greatly apreciated