Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible to replace thermostat without removing much?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Possible to replace thermostat without removing much?

Hey,

Like the title states, I was wondering if it was possible to replace the thermostat on an 2000 A4 1.8T without removing much stuff like bumper, timing belt, waterpump, etc. I saw someone merely slid there timing belt forward but still kept it on the geared pulleys while replacing theres, but that was on a different engine.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Old 04-18-2007, 04:08 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Possible to replace thermostat without removing much?

it's very easy. it's on the back of the head. all you do is remove a clip and pull it out.. i know there is a write-up around somewhere. ill see if i can find it

this is what i used. it's for a B6 but don't worry about it.. and it's hard to see cause there isn't much room behing the head. just gotta use your hands to get a feel of it.. and DONT DROP THE CLIP!

http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page...ECTsensor.html

Old 04-18-2007, 04:52 AM
1st Gear

Sorry if I was unclear. I am not referring to the coolant temp sensor/sender, I am referring to the thermostat that regulates the flow of coolant to the radiator from the engine block. It's a mechanical device with a spring that acts like a temperature specific valve. I believe I read somewhere that it was behind the timing belt on the front of the engine, if so, is there any way to get to it without removing all the necessary pullies and belts.

Thanks again,

Alex

Old 04-18-2007, 06:52 AM
1st Gear

Should be pretty easy. It sits inside the line on the water pump and should be accessible from under the car with the belly pan removed. Your bigger problem is going to be draining the coolant because it is impossible to access the drain plug on the radiator without removing the front bumper.

If I were you I would put a big catch pan under the car when I remove the thermostat and then try to re-use the coolant (if it's good) or just buy some new coolant. It's not expensive.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:27 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply! I think I'll be fine with just new coolant. So are you saying it is possible to replace the thermostat without touching anything but the actual thermostat and its corresponding cover? (other than the belly pan)

Alex

Old 04-18-2007, 08:32 AM
1st Gear

Yes, it is easy. As the picture shows, all you have to do is unbolt the thermostat cover under the water pump.

[IMG]local://upfiles/33893/4E0B0F8981224F5DA6DC7341D222906F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-18-2007, 01:28 PM
2nd Gear

is this tru for all Audi i have a b6 3.0, just wondering, be nice to have an easy fix if i needed to do it in the future

Old 04-18-2007, 02:25 PM
4th Gear

good luck with the v6 i replaced my t-stat without removing more than the covers and the acc belt, took 7 hours and was a bitch, then i had to do it again because when i bolted everything up again i somehow droped the o ring.the v6 have the t-stat behind the t-belt so its reallty hard.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:28 PM
4th Gear

This is for the 1.8t.
Not sure about the v6.
I was wondering if it was possible to replace the thermostat on an 2000 A4 1.8T without removing much stuff

Old 04-18-2007, 02:40 PM
1st Gear

As others have said. For 1.8T, raise the front of the car. Take belly pan off. The thermostat is accessible from under the car and sits on the water pump. Make sure to get a new O ring too. It's 2 bolts and that's it.

Quick Reply: Possible to replace thermostat without removing much?