Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possibly looking at oil sludge...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:02 PM
1st Gear
Default possibly looking at oil sludge...

sonofa... I had my car (2001 A4 1.8T) back for 1.5 days after getting some body work donedue toa late night hit-and-run in front of my house and...

I was on a trip over the weekend and the oil can dash light started going crazy beeping and flashing as I was going down the interstate. I pulled over, checked the oil, topped it off a bit and drove a few more miles and it came back on. I immediately stopped the engine, consulted with a few mechanics and decided it needed to be towed in. After a $500 tow truck bill (about 120 miles) I have it at the dealer. So far, they have confirmed that indeed the oil pressure is low.

They want $1000 to take the oil pan off, clean the pickup, flush the engine and clean some lines. I have accounted for every oil change, from the previous owner, to the shop services I had done,to the localgrease monkey I take it to. I need to round up all the receipts still though. So I'm hoping I can get Audi to pay for it. Wish me luck, I'll let you know what happens...

Old 07-09-2007, 06:24 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: possibly looking at oil sludge...

with all documents they should take care of it

Old 07-09-2007, 11:46 PM
1st Gear

I just ran into the same issue with my 2000 1.8T. Got the flashing oil can and brought it to the dealer who confirmed the oil sludge issue. They only needed to account for oil changes every 10k miles (I did mine more frequently), and they picked up about $1100 of the $1600 total bill. They had also swapped out the oil pump since they were there, and that part wasn't covered in my year (I think it is in some others, though), so that cost me about $500. If you have the records, you should be ok.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:52 AM

Happened to me, I had all the records and paid $0

Old 07-10-2007, 08:20 AM
2nd Gear

Well i hope it works out for you, i dont have **** for records from the guy who did mine but i know they were all done at AUDI in NY, thank god that i have the 3.0 or i would he fuxed

Old 07-10-2007, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

Just dropped all my records off and they got official word from Audi to do the repair!

I only had a few oil change records myself (from grease monkey), the rest I had done at Audi or the original owner had them done at Audi so they were able to look them all up in the system. You need to be ableshow an oil change every 10,000 miles and they will cover it.

They are going to replace the pickup tube, some oil lines, flush the system, and remove the cams and check the bearings... about $2k worth of work (at this shop at least).

Old 07-10-2007, 01:53 PM

common fault is the pick up tube due to using cheap oil and not changing it as required but im also told there is a problem with the oil pump which im investigating

Old 07-10-2007, 01:56 PM
3rd Gear

audi is doing a good job on picking up oil sludge problems... i gotta give them props for that.

there should be a sticky at the top of this page telling everyone to keep all there records cuz it could save them thousands down the road.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:05 PM

well guess what its only in the USA that have sludge problems and never heard of in the UK but we do notice oil pump problems ( if you use synthetic oil then sludge isn't a problem ) so I would be looking at other components

Old 07-10-2007, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I'm definately impressed with Audi stepping up on this issue, by the way I have 91k miles on it. They also fixed an airbag problem I had at 54k, even though the warranty had recently expired.

I know people have their issues with using Audi dealerships for service, but overall I've been impressed with Corporate Audi's attitude towards it's customers.

The information I read seemed to conclude that no harm was actually done to the oil pump itself.Also, running synthetic, regular oil changes, and a larger filter will usually keep this from happening.

Quick Reply: possibly looking at oil sludge...