Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power drivers seat memory recall problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:21 AM
1st Gear
Default power drivers seat memory recall problem

Hi all, since I bought my 2007 a4 2.0T quattro avant, I've been having problems with the power drivers seat memory recall.

At first, I couldn't program the seat.

Audi replaced the computer.

Now I can program the memory, and it saves everything but when I recall the seat position, the backrest always comes fully upright - it never goes to where it's programmed. Everything else goes to where it should.

They also programmed my key to recall the position whenever I unlock with the FOB. So whenever I unlock it, I need to angle the seat back - so I had to switch to my other key to avoid this hassle.

I took it back to audi, and they replaced the motor for the backrest, and it made no difference.

I went back to audi, and they tested a showroom model, and the same thing happens with that.

They told me that the backrest will not be programmed if the back is angled too far back so that it doesn't pinch/hurt the rear passenger's knees. Well, I rarely have passengers in the back, and I don't angle my seat all that far back. If we presume that the upright position is 90 degrees, I would imagine that my angling of the seat is approx. 60-65 degrees - my arms are long so this is the most comfortable position.

To me - this doesn't sound right. If I want to program the seat to go to a specific setting, it should just work! And I've tried all the memory spots - didn't make a difference. I'm usually the only one that drives the car - so it's not a real problem... but I want it to work properly for those times where I have to recall the position.

Thoughts?

Old 10-11-2007, 09:39 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: power drivers seat memory recall problem

interesting, do you have 2or 3settings? if you do then the first setting should be for entering the car ( seat all the way back steering wheel up ) that's to make it easy to access the driving seat, now set the 2nd position to how you like to drive so when you get in the car you would press the 2nd setting and see if that works, I hate all those options too many things can go wrong

Old 10-11-2007, 10:03 AM
1st Gear

I have 4 settings... the steering wheel is not motorized... so I just keep it in the position I like.

It doesn't matter which of the presets I try - it still puts the seat fully upright. My mirrors and seat-bottom are adjusted perfectly every time... just the seat-back comes upright every damn time

I should mention that this is a Canadian A4 2.0T Quattro Avant

Old 11-06-2007, 04:57 PM

I have the exact same problem. I pretty much did the same things that you have done with taking it to the shop... 4 times before telling me that it was a "normal" feture! They gave back the keys saying that the maintence will not be able to change something that was "engineered" into the system. I was told last time that I was in the shop that someone would contact me from Audi but i haven't heard anything yet. I would challenge anyone to sit in that seat and tell me that it is comfortable to sit in that position. I really want to talk to an audi rep about this but don't know where to start. Does anyone out there know who or where i can call to actually talk to someone that knows what they are talking about?

I own a 06 A4 Quattro from the US.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:21 PM
1st Gear

mine was supposed to come with the seat memory in the package i got...but didn't have it. OH well. I wish i did have it though. Everytime someone gets in my car to drive it..valet, car wash (yes on occasion I have to b/c i don't have the time) at the Audi Dealer...they always have to move the seat....I hate it! They are driving the car for 10 seconds. Do they really have to change the seat!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:11 PM
1st Gear

Well, I'm having a problem with the memory of my '06 A4's driver's seat and passenger side mirror. The memory basically isn't retained consistently, but the dealer has never been able to duplicate my concern when I take it in. When I had several VW-products the seat-setting-process was straightforward, e.g. press-and-hold a combination of buttons and wait for the acknowledgement tone. Audi seems to not follow that protocol which is odd since they're all part of the VW Group.

At any rate, I may need to contact Audi HQ in Michigan to see if I can get the matter resolved. I sort of want them to check out the memory module and any components that control the seat/mirror function.

My only concern is that I have an aftermarket remote starter in the car and I suspect that it may be involved in the problem because I basically bypass the FOB with respect to opening unlocking the car, and one of the FOBs had to be placed in the car so that the remote starter could function. I think this may be confusing the system and creating the issue.

Dilemma: Warm car in winter & Cool car in Summer vs seat memory issues???

Old 10-27-2013, 11:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Same odd problem, Audi Dealer Clueless

Originally Posted by mtnbkjunky78
I have the exact same problem. I pretty much did the same things that you have done with taking it to the shop... 4 times before telling me that it was a "normal" feture! They gave back the keys saying that the maintence will not be able to change something that was "engineered" into the system. I was told last time that I was in the shop that someone would contact me from Audi but i haven't heard anything yet. I would challenge anyone to sit in that seat and tell me that it is comfortable to sit in that position. I really want to talk to an audi rep about this but don't know where to start. Does anyone out there know who or where i can call to actually talk to someone that knows what they are talking about?

I own a 06 A4 Quattro from the US.
I realize this is an old post, but I'm guessing others have this problem.

I have '99 A6 and have exact same problem. Been to Audi 3 times, and they were too dense to tell is wasn't working right. Last time I showed them exactly what was wrong...several times. They checked with some technician who said it is designed to not go back too far to prevent drivers from reclining to unsafe positions. That may be true, but not at the settings I was using (a little further back than straight up). What utter and complete nonsense and stupidity. My seat has been working normally for the last 12 years and went to whatever recline position I set. These dealer technicians don't know how to trouble shoot problems unless the car tells them by throwing a code.

I'm trying to determine what module(s) need to be replaced. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by douglas.helton; 10-27-2013 at 11:16 PM.