Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POWER STEERING LEAK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 02:45 AM
1st Gear
Default POWER STEERING LEAK!!!

my power steering boot from da drivers side is leaking....do i have to replace da boot or da whole rack & pinion....if anyone knows i would dearly appreciate it

Old 04-11-2007, 02:54 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: POWER STEERING LEAK!!!

sorry to tell you, but you need a new rack

Old 04-11-2007, 03:03 AM
1st Gear

cuz da boot on da passenger side is dry and clean... it only leaks from da drivers side only... but if u say i need a new rack then oh well

Old 04-11-2007, 03:32 AM
1st Gear

How bad is the leak?

Why do you have to replace the whole rack?

Old 07-27-2007, 09:21 AM
3rd Gear

Yesterday I started hearing a rubbing/squeeking noise coming from behind the dash near the steering wheel. It only makes it when I turn the wheel hard to the left at low speeds. I checked my power steering fluid and it was at the min. line but i haven't noticed any leaks yet.

does anyone know if this is a symptom of low power steering fluid? or is there something else wrong with my cars steering/rack and pinion/suspension?

if possible give me a list of things i should do before bringing it in to have it checked.

I'll start:

1. fill the power steering fluid

Old 07-27-2007, 10:49 AM
1st Gear

It's your control arms going bad. Probably the upper control arms. You can spray some WD40 on the rubber bushing of both upper control arms on the side you are hearing the noise from. If it goes away then that is where your problem is.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:09 AM
3rd Gear

I will look into that. but is there something I can look at on the control arms to see if they are going bad? how will I know? where do I spray the wd-40? I have no clue about suspension... but i know that my driver side upper strut mount is bad cause it squeeks on bumps. could that be it?

are the control arms a DIY? anyone know of a good writeup?

the squeek sound seems to come from inside the car almost but behind the dash thats the only reason I though rack and pinion...

Old 07-27-2007, 11:15 AM

low power steering fluid level causes many problems but regular maintenance can solve that ( keep a check on the level ) if you let it go too low then it draws air in which im sure you know but a common problem is rubber as the man says^^^^^ and well pointed out ( silicon spray is best and WD40 is temporary ) so you need to check exactly where the noise is coming from and best way is to jack the front wheels off the ground and with engine running do full locks left and right while topping up the P/S fluid " TAKING CARE TO NOTICE IF IT TURNS TO BUBBLES ) that means there is air in the system and best way to get rid is to keep it jacked up engine off and do a few full turns on the steering wheel and that should bleed the steering

Old 07-27-2007, 11:19 AM
3rd Gear

with the engine off and the wheels up will my steering wheel lock up?

Old 07-27-2007, 03:54 PM
3rd Gear

ok so i put the PSteering fluid in and the sound is still there. i did my best to turn the wheel with my head near the wheel well and it is coming from drivers side. totally rubber on rubber. will silicon spray really help? what exactly is wrong with the control arms? the rubber is shot? does the whole arm need to be replaced or just the rubber things? how long will silicon spray help? thanks.

Quick Reply: POWER STEERING LEAK!!!