Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering pump for $375 too high?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 02:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Power Steering pump for $375 too high?

Hey...

I just got my 96 Audi A4 Quattro but the steering in it is very tough and makes noise everytime I turn.. (Arraannn Arrrraaannnn.. like a radio control toy car). I thought maybe I just needed fluid but when I took it to Mobile the guy added the fulid but also said I need to replace my Power Steering Pump and the cost with parts and labor would be $375, since I am not a car tech I was wonder if its a fair price? Thanks a bunch!! what else should I get replaced if I get the power steering pump done at the same time? car has 138500 miles.

Old 04-29-2006, 02:54 PM
Default RE: Power Steering pump for $375 too high?

remove the filler cover and check the fluid level then while engine is running do a full lock left to right a few times, this bleeds the system of air then see how it goes

Old 04-29-2006, 06:00 PM
4th Gear

First thing is that you cannot put power steering fluid from the garage, or worse, transmission fluid in there.

Now you have to at least drain the entire system and put in the correct fluid before you need a steering rack and a pump. the car requires synthetic Pentosin 11S fluid, Find out what he put in there.

Sounds like the PS pump is dry or shot . Follow instructions to purge the air as that may be the problem. Turning the teering wheel from full side to side slowly with the front wheels lifted and engine running about 10 times and see if it drinks more fluid.

Does the noise sound like a squeal or a grinindg from the wheel that increases and decreases with speed. If the latter it may be a shot wheel bearing.

Your car has 140K. When did you do the timing belt last?

Old 04-29-2006, 07:42 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: david9999

First thing is that you cannot put power steering fluid from the garage, or worse, transmission fluid in there.

Now you have to at least drain the entire system and put in the correct fluid before you need a steering rack and a pump. the car requires synthetic Pentosin 11S fluid, Find out what he put in there.

Sounds like the PS pump is dry or shot . Follow instructions to purge the air as that may be the problem. Turning the teering wheel from full side to side slowly with the front wheels lifted and engine running about 10 times and see if it drinks more fluid.

Does the noise sound like a squeal or a grinindg from the wheel that increases and decreases with speed. If the latter it may be a shot wheel bearing.

Your car has 140K. When did you do the timing belt last?

Find out what he put in. I guarantee he put basic power steering fluid in your car. I haven’t seen any small shops that carry the correct fluids for German vehicles. If he mixed it, you’ll have to drain the system and refill with the fluid above. After punching him in the face of course.