Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about 2.8 engine/exhaust problem, Damaged??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 12:14 AM
Default Question about 2.8 engine/exhaust problem, Damaged??

I know I'm going to get S$%t for posting in the wrong forum but the A6 forum doens't get a lot of traffic. I'm guessing it is the same engine though? I have a 1998 A6 Quattro 2.8. It was rolled and was on the roof for about 30-60 mins. Oil drainied into the cylinders.

I pulled the plugs and found oil in the drivers side bank, with the most oil in the cylinder closeest to the firewall. There was a little in the 2 cylinders in front of the back one. I turned the engine over and the oil was pushed out. I did this until there was no more oil. I put the plugs back in and thried to turn the engine on. It maybe made 1/4-1/2 turn. I pulled the plugs and there was still some oil in the back cylinder. My amperage had dropped on my battery so I took care of that. I turned the engine over again for 20-30 seconds until there was no oil. I waited an hour and repeated. I cleaned the plugs off and put them back in.

The care smokes like CRAZY. I expected this, but after running it about a minute is shows no sign of letting up. Could there be oil in the cats? Could the engine have pused some of the oil out the exhaust valves? Or could it have drained somehow while it was upside down?

I was going to take the cat's off (to see if it still smoked)but the entire exhaust system is immaculatly welded together. I was amazed when I saw the welds. No wonder these cars cost more than domestics. Solid engineering there!!!

Any help here is greatly appreciated!