Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about the 'feel' of the audi clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 02:27 AM
Default RE: Question about the 'feel' of the audi clutch

yeah but i need to do something from making it move to a side. you see that plastic part thats sorta in between the clutch and brake pedal on the floor? sometimes the block hits that and it pushes the block to the side thus makeing the block usless. so i need to either put a metal plate on one side or drill thru the pedal

Old 10-06-2004, 01:50 PM
1st Gear

Yes, an entire clutch kit was used which included the throwout bearing.

Old 10-06-2004, 02:16 PM

Try what i suggested and see if you like it; if not you can always remove the block.

Correction the block is a 2x2 not a 2x4.

Old 10-06-2004, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

i asked the same question when i got my audi. my honda clutch was on the floor, and as it wore, the pedal rose. i could adjust it to make it lower again, but eventually it would lose its grab. everyone said the audi clutch is always at the top, so dont be too concerned unless it starts to lose its hold.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:03 PM
1st Gear

I had the same feeling in my 2000 a4 b5. It is not in the shop (2 days ago it started having problems engaging), and I am being told that I will have to spend $2000 on a new clutch kit and the 9-10 hours it requires. Does this sound reasonable?

Old 06-28-2007, 03:23 PM
1st Gear

The clutch in my 03 3.0 grabs pretty high, I would say it starts to grab at about half way, not quite at the very top, but it is much higer than other cars I have drive, made it hard to learn on at first. But now I am fully used to it, I have been told this is normal for Audis, but maybe it is not? I doubt it is a sign of wear, my Audi has 71,000 80% highway miles on it and was driven by my uncle who has had standards all his life and claims he has never worn out a cluch before.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:42 PM
1st Gear

This is happening to me also. Its a southbend clutch and it engages at the very top of the extension, way far from the floor board. It doesnt engage very smoothly it just kinda.. little bit.. BAM. And letting out the clutch in a hard take off outa of first gear to second, it kinda shakes.
When i'm at a stoplight or stopsign, though.. starting off from a stop just driving calmly, it doesnt seem to be slipping?
I'm getting it checked out soon

Old 06-28-2007, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

How can I tell if my clutch is worn out? It engages at about halfway, a lot different from normal clutches. I think I need a new snub mount, or maybe a tranny mount, it seems kinda clunky if i'm not really easy on it between gears. My car has 157k, but I don't know how to tell if I need a new clutch.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:46 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: nabujam

I had the same feeling in my 2000 a4 b5. It is not in the shop (2 days ago it started having problems engaging), and I am being told that I will have to spend $2000 on a new clutch kit and the 9-10 hours it requires. Does this sound reasonable?

From what I've heard from the guy at my local performance shop, he can install a new sport clutch in my 2000 A4 1.8TQfor $1200, parts and labor.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: David_K

the throwout bearing has to be replaced when the clutch is replaced other wise it wont fit right. heres how i fixed the problem your having. i got a 2x4 and cut it to about 4" long and taped it behind the clutch pedal right above where the clutch pedal makes a bend. i used electrical tape to secure it. and it will make your shifts faster.
Interesting idea w da 2X4, but in my car you need to put the clutch all da way to da floor to start it...is this just me?

Quick Reply: Question about the 'feel' of the audi clutch