Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about performance increase, any input is great!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 08:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Question about performance increase, any input is great!!

Hey all. I just bought 2002 audi a4 1.8T. I would like to increase HP. Recently ordered cold air intake
and was wondering about performance chips. Are there any on the market for under $500? I am new
at this upgrade thing and know hardly NO terminology, so please try to answer as if you were talking to your grandpa
(or someone with little knowledge or auto tech.)
Any more ideas about improving acceleration and response at a moderate cost?

Basically, I have a friend who just bought a 2002 Honda S2000. I want to beat him off the line. Help me please to
accomplish this goal.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:36 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: Question about performance increase, any input is great!!

ORIGINAL: GeoRay16

Hey all. I just bought 2002 audi a4 1.8T. I would like to increase HP. Recently ordered cold air intake
and was wondering about performance chips. Are there any on the market for under $500? I am new
at this upgrade thing and know hardly NO terminology, so please try to answer as if you were talking to your grandpa
(or someone with little knowledge or auto tech.)
Any more ideas about improving acceleration and response at a moderate cost?

Basically, I have a friend who just bought a 2002 Honda S2000. I want to beat him off the line. Help me please to
accomplish this goal.
you can click here if you want info on chip upgrades..lots of good stuff

Old 10-04-2006, 08:39 PM
2nd Gear

MMkay. in a few minutes, you will probably be flamed (yelled at) because this is a question asked all the time and can easily be searched

but i am a nice guy

Cold air intake. Almost no performance gains for our car.
$500 is what you will pay for a chip fomr GIAC which gives you about 30 HP and 50 lbs/torque.

with APR, you will get about 40 HP and 70-85 lbs/torque.

Apr is a smoother powerband with more top end. GIAC is more put you back in your seat kinda low power.

I am currently running APR, and i love it. runs great, its smooth, but agressive.

Good luck, and prepare for some flaming

[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 10-04-2006, 08:46 PM
1st Gear

Thanx, this may be stupid question number two, hehe. Can you find these chips used, like from
someone who is selling their car and wants to return it to stock before sale, maybe for warranty purposes
or dealer trade in? Also, is the [i][b]Turbona
[quote]ORIGINAL: AudiCross

Old 10-04-2006, 11:06 PM
2nd Gear

turbona? no idea what ur talkingabout.

but yes, you can get them used. look on e-bay. and look in the classified section on this website. people sell them

with warrenty, it is impossible to detect unless whomever is dealing with your car takes it for a drive.

but if you go with APR (and i believe giac may offer this) you can get extra programming on your car so that you can select between stock programming and chipped programming. you can also get valet programming and different octain ratings.

i suggest getting just teh standard 91 oct. (premium pump fuel) and seeing what you think of it. geting a higher octain rating wouldnt be a good idea unless you really need those extra few horsess, because gas above 91 oct. is a biach to get and even more of a biach to pay for.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:18 PM
5th Gear

yup for a b6 defintely go with APR chip. 40-50 horse and another 70-80 torque are some serious numbers for only $500. here's the link when you get the chip make sure u upgrade the DV (Diverter Valve) on the car cause the stock DV cant handle the added boost for too long so upgrade to at least a 710n but preferably a Forge 007. if you still want more power go with exhaust and test pipe

Old 10-17-2006, 12:13 AM
1st Gear
Default InMotion question

I came across a company called InMotion Tuning. They take stock chips and upgrade for under $300.
Have you heard of them? Pros/Cons??
Thanks

Old 10-17-2006, 12:22 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: InMotion question

I have heard of people running them. I dont know what their reputation is. Even though it costs soo rfiggen much, i am picky bout what goes into my car. i have watched too many retarded ricers blow their engines and random stuff becuase they try to save a buck here and there. i dont think its worth it. but iono, they may have very reliable programming.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:53 AM
4th Gear

im pretty sure you arent going to beat an s2000, atleast not without alot of mods...1000lbs less + 100 more horses = you getting your *** kicked

Old 10-17-2006, 01:54 AM
1st Gear

check the audizine.com classified forums, thats where I got my chip for my $300.

Quick Reply: Question about performance increase, any input is great!!