Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick question! my oil light flashed and beeped at me!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 04:09 AM
Default quick question! my oil light flashed and beeped at me!

1998 A4 1.8T Quattro Manual 92k

So, I was parked in front of a friends house, and my car was running, just talking for like 5 minutes max, As I was backing out of the driveway the same beep as the your out of gas beep sounded, and at the same time the oil light flashed like 5 or 6 times and shut off...oil temp was fine, so I drove the 4-5 blocks home, parked in my garage waited a few then checked the oil (which was perfect) and was changed about 1,500 miles ago, then I restarted the car a couple more times and the light no longer comes on....

I am thinking this is a service deal that wasn't re-set...but I am not sure, any thoughts or ideas would definately be helpful....

thanks in advance!

Old 02-09-2007, 04:20 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: quick question! my oil light flashed and beeped at me!

was the number reset when the changed the oil. you can check by going thru the manu in the instument panel. if not im sure all you need to do is vag it and reset it

Old 02-09-2007, 05:00 AM
3rd Gear

same thing happened to my old audi and everything was fine lol.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:05 AM

thanks, I just figured I'd ask, weird though...It might just be me, but everytime a new light turns on all I can see is my bank account drying up....Damn audi has me brainwashed!

thanks again!

Old 02-09-2007, 08:44 AM
18T
4th Gear

go get it checked out. dont let your motor blow. cars like that come in all the time.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:49 AM

the things to consider are oil pressure switch and oil pump - have it checked for oil pressure and check the wires on the oil pressure sender are making good contact.

the bleep coupled with a flashing oil lightis a warning to stop now but in most cases Ive come across it was a bad sensor

Old 02-09-2007, 10:02 AM
4th Gear

That meant zero oil pressure.

Have it checked immediately. You probably have sludge, or if you are lucky, at faulty sensor.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:05 PM

but it only came on once for less that 5 seconds and I have not been able to reproduce the beep or the light...should I still have the car checked out?

Old 02-09-2007, 08:08 PM
4th Gear

Speaking of beeps, when its below 40 degrees outside my parking break light beeps a few times, after its been sitting outdoors... but the brake is all the way down, and it thinks its up... its ******* ANNOYING![:@]

Old 02-09-2007, 10:37 PM

So, I went into the dealer (without appointment) and the car felt very healthy all the way there, when i got there I talked to the same service guy/tech who always helps me...I told him my light flashed on last night for a few seconds and that it beeped(like my out of gas beep (I had a full tank)) he told me that it usually flashes when there is lack of presseure...He asked if I had oil and I said yes, he told me since the light was not on that the car had no complaints and then he said that the sensor is probably going bad he said the part is 30$ and the labor would be 90$(this includes a oil pressure check as well).... he then told me as long as i had oil and the car felt good and as long as no lights were on that I was good to drive the car over the weekend and I have an appointment for tuesday, because I am stuck in school all day monday....

any thoughts?...does this sound okay?...

Quick Reply: quick question! my oil light flashed and beeped at me!