Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R coilpacks

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Default R coilpacks

I joined the coilpack failure club Saturday. My mind racing on the way to my g/f house I couldn't get there fast enough. I get a text message and look down to find the phone only to look up and realize i'm about to rear-end a van... on an overpass. Luckily there's a light an no oncoming cars so I swerve over the double solid line and merge back in a few cars later since it turned green at exactly the right time. Thank you God.

Not even 2 miles later traffic clears up and I shift into third to get moving and boom - flashing cell and the typical car shutter. I knew immediately what it was but have no spare coilpacks on me. I pull over and pop 'em out to reseat but nothing. VAG on Sunday and the 'ol switcheroo confirms it's a coilpack

You know how things go wrong at the worst time? I needed to get wehre I was going and avoid one accident, get the CP failure - which I decide to ignore since I was 1/2 way to either destination I woudl go to - and then avoid another accident thanks to someone that doens't know you floor it when merging onto a highway. What a weekend.

Anyway, the point of this post is I picked up four new R coilpacks today. If anyone wants to know prices: the nearest Audi dealer wanted $40/ea. I said I can get them online for <$32 shipped. I left and went to the VW dealership a block away and got them for $35/ea. Not bad, saved $20 and stuck it to the man - sort of. Cleared the codes and she's fine again.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:08 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: R coilpacks

get the hitachi E's... i believe they are even more reliable than R's... i put them on before chipping at 65k so im a coilpack virgin! 75k now...

Old 12-10-2007, 04:04 PM

Yea, dealership doesn't sell E's and I didn't want to wait for shipment. I'm sure the R's will do fine for me. I'm pretty much stock and may go as far as getting chipped eventually. If I go anythign beyond, I'll be sure to carry a set of spare E's in the back though!

Old 12-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Site Moderator

Get them at www.ecstuning.com the hitachi coils were never made for the B6 but there is a conversion which is much more relaiable than the standard pop out coils are.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:11 PM
2nd Gear

034 motorsports sells the E's as a upgrade suitable for 400+ hp or something... they charge wayyyy to much for them....

ecstuning sells everythign u need to do it, CP's, 8 bolts and 4 gaskets... although i hate ecs service, its convienent...