Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radar detector, where to plug it in

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 04:24 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: radar detector, where to plug it in

i wouldn't buy the wireless, first off it goes through batteries like no other and it has a significantly smaller range.

Old 03-04-2006, 04:26 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Renegades

In Va. its not legal to use these things, however, i know a bunch of people who still do...Are they hard to detect by any cops, whats the likelyhood of a cop finding out your using one if you hide it or turn if off if your pulled over?
I used to live in Chesterfield Virginia, and I did get pulled over for having one. They run "Radar Detector Detector's", as a simple way of putting it. I had mine well hidden in my Corolla, and the cop came up to the vehical and asked me where it was. I told him I didn't know what he was talking about, and he then told me he would search the car if I didn't cooperate. He ended up confiscating it, and I never got it back. It was a state trooper, I don't believe the local cops use them, but you never know. Virginia is very serious about it's Radar Detector policy. If you get caught with one, they will most likely take it, and fine you... $300 for me....

Don't speed in Virigina... [:@]

Old 03-04-2006, 04:44 PM
1st Gear

Man I hate how strict the VA highway laws are...it pisses me off. I'm having to sell my Tacoma with a 10" lift and 37's because its 4" over the legal "lift law"...[:@]

I was just on the Cobra website, and the top of the line detectors they carry have radar detector detector immunity for the different kinds of detector detectors the cops may use...So it sounds like they may be getting a step ahead of most the cops, at least the local ones. Who the hell knows what kind of tecnology the state troopers have access to...[:'(]

Old 03-04-2006, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

Hardwired Valentine1 is the way to go. I haven't bought mine yet (I speed smart), but the previous owner left the wiring in for me. It goes from the passenger visor (detector) to the fuse box and from there to above the hazard signal button velcroed (remote display). Should look clean. I can't imagine wireless or "radar detecting immunity" performing well for the purpose of detecting radars (why you buy it).

Old 03-04-2006, 11:03 PM
DVA
1st Gear

LOL, I have one too but I was thinking to mercedes benz .... I live in Europe and if you get a new benz you can custom order for an extra 600 euro an "under front bumper radar detector" - high performance radar detector ( I think audi has this option too, on the new models 05-06 ). So wtf would the cop do in this case? Take off your front bumper and take the whole system?

as for the "normal" radar detectors, I have one too and damn it sucks with that fu**ing wire.. I`m voting for a wireless one, even the batteries don`t keep to long but it can be placed anywhere and that wire doesn`t get you crazy.....and beside this I only use it when I`m going on long distances, never using it in the city... don`t know about you guys..

Old 03-04-2006, 11:23 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: The Stig

where do you guys plug yours in at? my passport was fine in the porsche, because the lighter was right above the cd player, but in my 01 a4 its behind the shifter and my cord gets in the way.

the thing with the passport is that it comes with that mute button and the two LED's and nowhere to mount it.....The B6 models have the perfect place to mount it on the lower left side but the B5 doesn't have that option. I have an 01 and I need to find a spot...ANYONE, let me know if you figured something out.