Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Code for FREE

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 04:06 PM
1st Gear
Default Radio Code for FREE

Hi All,

I have a 98 A4 with the Concert Bose in it and the dreaded SAFE mode. I read thru all the previous posts on this and then started calling dealerships to try to get the code. All 10 of the random dealerships that I called told me that I had to bring the car in so they could connect to it and "read" the code. The charges ranged from $60 to $110 depending on what part of the country the dealership was in. The last one I called finally came clean and said "Well its a safety issue, we have to make sure the radio isn't stolen" so right there is the answer, the code is avialble w/o connecting it, but if they can make $100 for 15 minutes of "work" they are gonna do it. So anyway, my son is the service advisor at a Chevy dealer.....hmmmm...I wonder if they will give the code to another dealership? You betcha!!! I called my local Audi dealer, told them i was the service advisor at "XXXXX" Chevrolet (where my son works) and we had a problem with a 98 A4 and needed the radio code. The Audi Service guy said "No problem"! I had to pull the radio out and get the AUZ number (not the serial number) and the VIN from my car. I gave him those two numbers, he said he had to contact Audi and he would call back. I gave him the number to the Chevy dealership and within 5 minutes, my son recieved a call from him with the code!!! So don't believe that BS about hooking up to the computer at the dealership to read the code....it is available for free, they just won't tell you!! So if you need the code, pull your radio (I used a nail file to pull mine), write down the number that starts with AUZ and your VIN. If you know someone who works at a car dealership, ask them to help you out...if not you can get creative but in any case I hope you can get it without paying the stealership! I think its also possible to call enough dealerships to get someone to finally look up the code for you, I just didn't have the patience to do that. Well, sorry to go on for so long, just wanted to get the word out. Hope this was helpful to someone.

Terry
2002 allroad
1998 A4 1.8tQ
1972 Datsun 521

[IMG]local://upfiles/6999/A473F0E14B274253AEE95D9FD904259D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-25-2006, 04:24 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Radio Code for FREE

Hey, its always a big help to post info like this.

I am sure someone will be grateful, thanks for the contribution.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Default RE: Radio Code for FREE

That's some good information. Thanks!