Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Fuses Keep Blowing!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 03:04 PM
1st Gear
Default Radio Fuses Keep Blowing!!!

Ok...PLLLLEASE someone help me with this. I am going crazy. So here is the deal:

I have a stock radio in my A4 Quattro. If I just listen to the radio (not an option...we only have one radio station here and it sucks my ***) the fuse never ever blows. However, if I plug my Ipod in...it blows in anywhere from 5 min to 1 hour. I drove home from Bend yesterday (3 hrs) and blew three fuses...and the only reason it was so little was because I ran out of fuses to replace it with and suffered in silence for the last hour. Is it ONLY because my Ipod, or do you think it could be other issues? I just didn't realize it could suck the life out of fuses so fast. So I guess I want to know what my options are...do I need to buy a aftermarket stereo that has Ipod capabilities or is there something that I could do to retain my stock stereo and still listen to music through the Ipod without going through the fuses? I really don't want to have to buy a new stereo because they quoted my $300 bucks for installation. Please help.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:08 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Radio Fuses Keep Blowing!!!

How are you hooking up the ipod?
Are you pluging the ipod into the cig lighter?
If you are pluging into the cig lighter does the fuse blow when you plug other stuff in like a cell charger?

Old 12-07-2006, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

I am plugging it in through the cig lighter. The only fuse that blows is the one in the back of the radio. The actual cig lighter doesn't blow and it is fine when I plug in my cell charger. It is only the radio.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:34 PM
4th Gear

Did you have to do some wiring for this or is it wireless?

Old 12-07-2006, 09:51 PM
1st Gear

I have a wireless adapter.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:30 PM
5th Gear

try process of elimination. use a friends ipod and see if the fuse blows. if not its your ipod. use a different connection through the cig lighter. if it doesn't blow than its your connection. last resort use one of those cassette tape connections and see what happens. their pretty cheap. what exactly are you using to connect the ipod?

Old 12-07-2006, 10:37 PM
4th Gear

sounds like a short , factory radio ?

Old 12-09-2006, 04:55 AM
1st Gear

Ok...sad story...none of my friends live in my town or anywhere near me...so finding someone else that I know with an Ipod is not likely. So process of elimination is out. I am wondering if it isn't the actual stereo itself. Its very random...like sometimes it works for a while...then sometimes it blows within minutes. I was thinking maybe wiring on the stereo...would that be it??? Since my car was previously wrecked...I don't know if they replaced the stereo and rewired it...not sure. Also...what is a cassette tape connection?? I am using a Belkin adapter...it is the kind that charges while it plays.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:31 AM
5th Gear

what you need to do is pull the radio out and un hook the light blue wire thats added, its no longer used and im almost positive thats whats causing the prob, just cut it out its not needed anymore

Old 12-12-2006, 05:34 AM
1st Gear

Richard...you are always there for me... I don't know why I don't just call you...lol.

Quick Reply: Radio Fuses Keep Blowing!!!