Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Realized a noise tonight

Old 08-20-2006, 05:55 AM
Default Realized a noise tonight

I recently replaced my dead turbo and finally felt a little more performance. I can now hear a little AIR wooshing through my evoms Diverter valve but it aint too loud. But i notced tonight when I was racing up and down my block , I can constantly hear a loud hissing noise from the turbo. I thought this was normal until i realized it sounded verrrrry loud. Like if i was passing you , you would hear , SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS really loud. Im thinking its a boost leak because i dont think a ko3 should be that loud.Mabe a ko4 would but not a stock ko3. what might that be?

Old 08-20-2006, 06:03 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Realized a noise tonight

if you just replaced you DEAD turbo you should feel a major difference... From what you just explained sounds like you have a boost leak..if it sounds like its comming from the turbo.. it might be the hose comming from the back of the turbo.. that would be the first thing i would check...it is common when you replace a turbo that one pops off or behind the dv... But if your racing up and down your street then it might just be your turbo spooling up... Basically if you notice a lot of lag and your car feels slugish then you have a boost leak...

Old 08-20-2006, 06:23 AM
Site Moderator

Check all hose connections boost/vac lines in the turbo area and especially the turbo outlet hose like socal said. You should really invest in a boost gauge, they are priceless. The stock turbo with stock programing makes such light compression it would be somewhat hard to distinguish or identify a boost leak just by how it feels. But it does sound like you might have a small leak. If you dont have a cel it would have to be a small leak or else youd be running real rich and missfireing. Have fun!

Old 08-20-2006, 02:24 PM

ohhh ok , thanx alot for the help , I was thinking about gettin a boost gauge cause I heard their a good investment, Like always I appreciate the help , ill wait to get one of those boost gauges before any assumptions. It doesnt misfire and no CEL or nothing.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:25 PM

hey onepoint8tee , do you have a ko3 or ko4?

Old 08-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: zat0rsk1

hey onepoint8tee , do you have a ko3 or ko4?
Chipped k03. Just cuz you dont have missfires or a cel doesnt mean you dont have a boost leak though. Have you looked around yet? Does it still make the ssssssssssssss noise?

Old 08-20-2006, 06:07 PM

waiting till i get out of work at 6 to check. I mean im not too sure if theres a leak but I didnt think the ko3 would be this loud. Its hott but I defin think theres a leak. If i pop the hood and rev the engine , would I be able to find the leak that way or should I get one of thos vacuum testers?

List which parts I should check , i will do it as soon as i get out. Thanx bro.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

I sold you that turbo and i was chipped and it was not loud.check for leak.you need to chip it.how was the install?did you change the gaskets between the turbo and manifold?

Old 08-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Site Moderator

You need a boost gauge. and you could build a boost leak tester. search for the DIY article on how to make one unless you feel like paying out your butt to have a pro find the leak for you.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:02 PM

Yea , awesome turbo man , I had an install kit and everything , gaskets and washer and everything. Could be one of the hoses then. I might just get a boost gauge before i try anything to make sure , im going to order one thursday. What would be a good place to get one/site to order from?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Realized a noise tonight