Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear shocks A4 removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 09:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Rear shocks A4 removal

I want to put in my new lowering springs How do I remove the rear shock/strut assem.? My car is a 2wd v6 1996 thanks cm.

My question is do I have to go through the trunk like a VW?

Old 03-16-2007, 06:03 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Rear shocks A4 removal

Cmon Guys someone else here must own a FWD car and have done their own springs?

Old 03-16-2007, 06:18 AM
1st Gear

The tops of the shocks are inside the car.
Remove the bottom of the seats, then fold the seats down.
On each side of the seat is a cushion, you need to remove that cushion.
Push down on the cushion, pushing it towards the floor, then you'll unhook the bottom of it, then lift up and unhook the top.
There's a small compartment covered with foam, remove the foam and you'll see the tops of the shocks.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:34 AM
1st Gear

ive got a '98 and i had to pull the carpet out of the boot to get to the top of the shocks and once you have disconnected everything from underneath you have to twist the shock until this weird locating thing at the top had lined up so it could drop through. sorry for the vagueness i did it a while ago

Old 03-16-2007, 09:10 PM
1st Gear

The shock will have a certain rotated position when it has to come back in so turn it like mtr005 said but make sure you really got it in there right on the way back up or it won't align at the bottom...

Old 03-17-2007, 01:01 AM
2nd Gear

Suspension Strut, Removing and Installing
Removing

[*]Vehicle must be standing on its wheels above vehicle lift[/ul]

[*]Remove wheel trim. On light alloy wheels use puller in vehicle tool kit to remove trim cap[*]Raise vehicle.[*]Remove wheel.[/ul]

[*]Unbolt suspension strut from axle beam.[*]Remove rear seat backrest side bolster cover or backrest.[*]Unbolt upper suspension strut mount.[/ul]
Note: In addition to the bolted connection, the suspension strut is also attached to the body by four retaining lugs.

[*]Turn suspension strut until retaining lugs are positioned above recesses.[*]Pull suspension strut downward out of its mount.[/ul]
Installing

[*]Install in reverse order of removal.[*]Replace gasket on upper spring plate. Thoroughly clean all sealing surfaces[/ul]
Note: When installing, make sure that the retaining lugs engage properly.

CAUTION: The bonded rubber bushings can only be turned to a limited extent. The bolted connections between the shock absorbers and the rear axle should therefore only be tightened when the vehicle is standing on the ground. Otherwise the bonded rubber bushings will be subjected to a torsional stress resulting in shortened service life

Old 08-08-2007, 08:24 PM

Great looking, into Audi's and a mechanic. Where the hell were you when I was dating?!! Cheers!

Old 01-24-2015, 01:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Question

What is that plastic peice on the top of the strut. Looks like a cone with 4 legs on top, that seats itself on a lip on chassis

[*]Remove wheel trim. On light alloy wheels use puller in vehicle tool kit to remove trim cap[*]Raise vehicle.[*]Remove wheel.[/ul]

[*]Unbolt suspension strut from axle beam.[*]Remove rear seat backrest side bolster cover or backrest.[*]Unbolt upper suspension strut mount.[/ul]
Note: In addition to the bolted connection, the suspension strut is also attached to the body by four retaining lugs.

[*]Turn suspension strut until retaining lugs are positioned above recesses.[*]Pull suspension strut downward out of its mount.[/ul]
Installing

[*]Install in reverse order of removal.[*]Replace gasket on upper spring plate. Thoroughly clean all sealing surfaces[/ul]
Note: When installing, make sure that the retaining lugs engage properly.

CAUTION: The bonded rubber bushings can only be turned to a limited extent. The bolted connections between the shock absorbers and the rear axle should therefore only be tightened when the vehicle is standing on the ground. Otherwise the bonded rubber bushings will be subjected to a torsional stress resulting in shortened service life[/QUOTE]