Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reasons why not to buy another m3...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 01:25 AM
1st Gear
Default Reasons why not to buy another m3...

Ok lads, I need your help here. Up untill recently, I drove (with great pleasure), a 2.8 30q a4. In january however, I changed it for a (euro spec- 286bhp) m3 coupe. Im now in a position that I'll be able to trade up again pretty soon, and I am keen on an M3 evo (again, euro spec, so this time 321 bhp). But what I need from you guys are reasons why I should buy a b5 s4 instead. I loved my a4 from the minute I owned it, there was something that felt right about it straight away, but to be honest, I reckon that not only would an m3 evo out handle an s4, is surley beats it in straight line punch too. I miss having quattro in the rain, but for dry weather thrills, rwd is unsurpassed, and Im worried that an s4 will feel helishly understeerey having been used to an m3.

Tell me Im insane not to buy an s4!!!!!

Old 05-02-2006, 01:31 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Reasons why not to buy another m3...

I loved my a4 from the minute I owned it, there was something that felt right about it straight away
s4 is like the a4 but more fun

I reckon that not only would an m3 evo out handle an s4
hahaha no way! s4 out handles the m3 by a land slide. if u dont believe me, believe the guys on top gear......

http://gofastvideo.com/gallery/item/....-audi-s4.html

Old 05-02-2006, 01:32 AM
1st Gear

i prolly wont help you with this post at all.

i used to drive an e36 m3. if you really enjoy throttle steering of rwd, you wont really get it from quattro. The quattro hooks up like no other, but because of that, you cannot throttle steer it as much or at all compared to the m3. however, like you mentioned, driving an m3 in the super wet isn't as fun, as it just spells fish taling and over steer when gassing it hard.

it's really a trade off. Fun in the wet vs. fun in the dry. i personally loved the m3 in terms of all performance.

Old 05-02-2006, 01:34 AM
5th Gear

you can use sway bars on the s4 to get it to handle however you want. you can give it more oversteer than you could ever want with a big enough rear sway bar...for the price of that m3 wouldn't a B6 S4 be in that price range? the M3 is a super nice car, i'm just partial to audis interior and features..you've owned both, they're both very similar, it's basically just a matter of opinion

Old 05-02-2006, 01:43 AM
1st Gear

Hmmm. I just watched the video, i rhink clarkson sums up the differences between the cars well, however he's comparing an e46 me against a b6 s4, which are both the newer models of the respective m3's or s4's Id be looking at.

Can anyone thats driven an a4q and an s4 tell me if their handling characteristics are pretty much the same?

Old 05-02-2006, 01:45 AM
2nd Gear

i wouldnt know why they would be any different.. its basically the same as the A4 but BETTER.. if you enjoyed the A4 handling you will love the S4

Old 05-02-2006, 01:46 AM
1st Gear

As far as price goes, in th UK anyway, you're looking at getting a (relativly) bottom end b5 s4 for the same price as a (more) top end m3 evo. Thats just how it works out over here, is it the other way round in the US?

Old 05-02-2006, 01:49 AM
1st Gear

I have a 2006 B-7 w downpipes, exhaust and cold air. I eat M-3's for breakfast. . . in all departments and all years.

Old 05-02-2006, 01:49 AM
1st Gear

Does anyone know of any videos that compare b5 s4's with e36 m3's (preferably m3 evo's)?

Old 05-02-2006, 02:16 AM
4th Gear

Sorry for the thread-jacking, exterior looks M3 hands down, everything else I'm partial to the Audi. Just thought it was pretty funny how the test driver was listening to Johnny Cash while pushing the Audi lol...priceless.

Quick Reply: Reasons why not to buy another m3...