Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

remote start, possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Default remote start, possible?

Is it possible to install a remote start on B7 manual transmission?
and which brand is good?

It's winter time, it's good to warm up car longer, hehe

Old 11-29-2006, 01:09 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: remote start, possible?

Not sure what brand's but you would need to get a clutch by-pass switch and deff. get in the habit of NOT leaving your car in gear.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:13 PM

I always put in no gear when I leave the car.
Does that mean I don't need a clutch by-pass switch?

Old 11-29-2006, 01:18 PM
2nd Gear

It is possible but not reccomended. Viper, python or clifford are all good, they are essentially all the same company but I have a python in my car and I like it, BUT my car is automatic. Manual remote start is a hassle and an accident waiting to happen. I'm saying don't do it but I am saying if you do be VERY careful.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:21 PM
2nd Gear

as for the clutch bypass do it anyway. You dont want to come outside and find that your car has run through the house, hit another car, driven halfway down the street before slamming into a telephone pole or or has pinned an elderly woman crossing the street against a traffic light. NOT COOL

Old 11-29-2006, 01:29 PM
4th Gear

No you will still need the switch it is what lets your car start.

ORIGINAL: edkwok

I always put in no gear when I leave the car.
Does that mean I don't need a clutch by-pass switch?

Old 11-29-2006, 07:31 PM
3rd Gear

When I went in and said I wanted a remote start put in 98 the guy freaked and spent like 20 min looking at wiring diagrams. Finally he agreed to do it - but said he would never do a newer audi. too hard to do. go get some quotes from shops - that should get you your answer. one if its possible two if anyone will do it.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:36 PM
1st Gear

I have a remote start in my manual. Sucked when my dad drove it and left it in gear...

Old 11-29-2006, 07:39 PM

Some shops would be willing to do it, but it is a huge risk, because if you don't leave it in nuetral, when you hit the start button, the car will lurch forward or backward, until the car "starts", however with it in gear, it (of course) won't... its an accident waiting to happen, and the installer is techincally liable for it, unless they have a pre-made waiver, that in all aspects, they shouldn't have.

Maybe try putting a block heater on your car.... it won't be warm right away, but it will help it warm up quicker (just make sure you unplug it before leaving your driveway!).... or just do what I do, wake up, take a shower, put on clothes, go start Audi, brush teeth, do hair (shave if need be), and by the time I'm done its all warm and ready to go (15 min. this morning at -5 Degrees). And if I am fast, at least the heated seats are working by the time I get out to it.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:01 PM
2nd Gear

I work for a large parking company. Our New York affiliate just sent out an e-mail warning all managers to be aware of remote start cars with manual trans. There have been many liability claims because valets hit the remote start and crashed the car into another, or worse yet off a car lift. You may be smart enough to remember, but your next valet experience may not turn out too well. Valets love to warm your car up. Better tips.

Quick Reply: remote start, possible?