Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed scratch and also clear coat

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 04:31 PM
2nd Gear
Default Removed scratch and also clear coat

I had a scratch on the side of my door from another persons door. I used rubbing compound and turtle wax. I was to forcefull with the rubbing compound and now the scratch is gone but so is my clear coat. Are there any suggestions on how to get the shine back to that particular spot? Thanks.

Old 03-25-2006, 05:46 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Removed scratch and also clear coat

Before you make things worse you might want to consider taking the car to the body shop.

Old 03-25-2006, 05:49 PM
3rd Gear

the whole car has to be repainted now.........jk....buff the shiznit outta it, use some carnuba wax on it the a clear coat polish

Old 03-25-2006, 09:01 PM
1st Gear

depending on what the surface looks like, use 3m rubbng compound. The turtle was brand is very abrasive.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:21 PM
dan
2nd Gear

how abrasive was the rubbing compound? Which brand?

As far as taking the clear coat off, I think you may not have taken it all off, just dulled it out. Take it to a body shop to see if there is enough clear for them to buff out properly. If not, you'll probably need to get the panel sprayed. At the very least you may need to get it re-cleared.

You should have just gone with something like ScratchX which si a deminishing abrasive, it's HARD to screw up the clear with something designed to be applied by hand.

Old 03-26-2006, 12:49 AM
2nd Gear

it would take a looot of rubing to burn the clear coat... if u used heavy compund and rub to strong it will just make it worse...and scratch it evem more...specially on black....any detailing shop or body shop cam bring the shiny back in a second...

Old 03-26-2006, 02:38 AM
Site Moderator

??? - yeah it would take either a high speed polisher left in place or about 10 manhours of constant elbow grease to take the clear coat off with rubbing compound.

Always use 3M Imperial Hand Glaze - that is the ****.

Old 03-26-2006, 02:58 AM

Paintscratch.com

Anybody try it yet, how's the result?

Old 03-26-2006, 03:24 AM
2nd Gear

I used turtle wax heavy duty rubbing compound. Maybe the clear is still good? I dunno. All I know is that it is very dull looking. Its only like a 2 x 2 inch spot on the door molding and directly under it.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:46 PM

If you don't know anything about car detailing you should probably leave it alone. As a detail enthusiast, I can almost guantee you didn't remove the clear coat by hand. The panel needs to be polished (not compounded, not waxed and not glazed). I would suggest you take it to a detailer or a body shop. Black is a beautiful color when detailed. Ask me how I know! Where are you located?

For everyone else the process is: Wash -- Dry -- Polish -- Glaze -- Wax

JJ

Quick Reply: Removed scratch and also clear coat