Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing front license plate holder?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 03:04 PM
1st Gear
Default Removing front license plate holder?

I live in a state that doesn't require front plates. I tried loosening it with allen wrenches but they wouldn't budge. I already tried PB blast with the same result. I'd like to get it off without breaking it because I might need to put it back on if its scratched behind it. How do you get these off?

Old 01-13-2008, 05:38 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Removing front license plate holder?

Its with an allen wrench yes, i had the same problem you had with taking them off. I dont know what year your car is but on my 96 there very small allen wrenchs and in order for me to take mine off i had to get a allen and i had to hammer them into the screws because the ones that were in mine were glazed by someone else, so if your not scard to, try hammering them into the holes that way you can make sure its in there with a tight fit like i did, it worked perfectly for me. They also sell certain tools that you can drill a new hole into screws that were glazed and then use a special tool to drill them out. Theres plenty of ways you just have to fine one that suits you. Ask your local dealership or whatever car place near you if they have any tools that can remove stripped screws or anything in that nature...

Old 01-14-2008, 10:32 AM
1st Gear

Well there not stripped yet. I say "yet" because I was bending the allen wrenches trying to get them off and I knew with more force they'd probably strip

Old 01-14-2008, 03:28 PM
2nd Gear

Vise grips.
Or get a set of these:

which are allen keys that connect to a ratchet so they won't break, or bend, and you have leverage.
Or, with a cut-off wheel or hacksaw, cutstraight across on the head for a flathead screwdriver:

If it breaks, bust out the EZ Outs and have at it.

I hated the gaping holes behind my plate holder.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:41 PM
1st Gear

My screws were long being gone, had to cut it off. I hope you have plans of getting maybe a euro or a new bumper because the 3 large holes behind the plate holder are indeed ugly.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:34 PM

now that we are talking about license plates any one know where to get the small thick phillips head bolts for the back license plate?

98 a4 1.8t

Old 01-14-2008, 11:59 PM
1st Gear

So there's three big holes behind there? Ugh. Anyone have a picture of said holes?

Old 01-15-2008, 12:27 AM
1st Gear

I do

Yours might be alittle smaller then mine where, i think they fu*ked something up when whoever else had this car

Old 01-15-2008, 03:43 AM
2nd Gear

Yeah, those holes. Also, I've got that rock chip film and it was cut around the plate...
But if you can somehow fill those holes (haven't thought about how to do it) it'd look good.

You can get those rear screws at any hardware or autoparts store. Just bring one in to match up with it.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

yeh its possible, just goto a body shop, they have some filler and they can put it over the holes, sand it down and then re-paint it or if you wanna do it cheaper then find your color code at Autozone and paint it that way lol

Quick Reply: Removing front license plate holder?