Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof Racks=Noise at Freeway Speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 08:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Roof Racks=Noise at Freeway Speeds?

I want to get a snowboard rack for my '01 A4 but don't know where to start looking for roof racks. I've done some searching on here and there's plenty of info on the actual mounts, but does anyone have any info on the racks? Is it common to have whistling noises at freeway speeds? 95% of all my driving is freeway so I definitely want to avoid that if possible.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:44 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Roof Racks=Noise at Freeway Speeds?

I recommend saris... www.sarisproducts.com

and buy the fairing... the wind deflector thing, it makes it MUCH more quiet at freeway speeds.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:57 PM
2nd Gear

I used to have Yakima on another car and I loved them. I had the huge snowboard racks that could hold 4 boards and it never made too much noise at all. I would keep it on all winter. I did have the fairing (sp) for the front but that thing actually made more noise I think. Anyway, I'm sure they are all good racks so choose the ones that look best.

Old 09-20-2005, 12:05 AM
2nd Gear

Look at Saris, Yakima and Thule...all very good, and generally in the same price range.

I've owned both Thule and Yakima, and have Yakima on my Audi right now.

Strangely enough....the racks without any attachments made more noise. I put on a bike rack two weeks ago, and a surfboark pad and the racks are pretty quiet.

The systems are all very modular so you can take the attachments off when you are not using them...and this might help with noise reduction as well. ( I have a feeling that the snowboard racks are noisier than the bike rack because they run perpindicular to the airflow. I'll let you know as soon as it snows!

Old 09-20-2005, 06:24 AM
Administrator

I say go with Thule.. just my 2 cents

Old 09-20-2005, 10:04 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info guys. I think I would want one as low riding as possible to the roof (for aesthetics)-which would provide that?

Old 09-21-2005, 02:23 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: BlueMagic

Thanks for the info guys. I think I would want one as low riding as possible to the roof (for aesthetics)-which would provide that?
saris

Old 09-21-2005, 04:41 AM
5th Gear

Yeah, saris is definately the best looking... the self centering load bars do it for me too. In fact, saris's load bars are just superior in every way, IMO... the attachments however, Thule has saris beat, I think.

Here's my saris rack in action:

look at my car, so stock!

Old 09-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Site Moderator

My Yakima rack and bike carriers should arrive tomorrow! finally I can take the bike AND the dog when I go ride.

Old 09-21-2005, 02:37 PM
5th Gear

Is yakima the only brand that fits with your car, since it has the roof rack bars on the avant?

Quick Reply: Roof Racks=Noise at Freeway Speeds?