Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks and Struts, BUMP, RATTLE!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 02:51 AM
1st Gear
Default Shocks and Struts, BUMP, RATTLE!!

I once posted here asking the forum for any advice on the fact that since I bought my 2001 Audi A4 1.8quattro every time I go over a speed bump with the front tires, as I'm coming down, it feels as if my shocks (or springs) bottom out and I hear this loud bump like if they hit right underneath my hood. I took it to a dude specialized in european cars (audi, bmw, mercedez, etc) and he said thats just how audis are built and that I just need to be more careful on how I go over bumps. I'm a little confused cus you should at least be able to go over a damn speed bump the regular way everybody else does. Does anybody have any ideas on what to do? Will taking it to the stealership be a waste of time. Im only at 45k miles.
My car also makes a rattleling noise whenever I turn it on and it stays on for like 4 seconds then it just goes away....Any ideas on what it might be? It kinda sounds like when somebody rolls their "R" with their tounge. I hear the little tiny rattle everytime I shift as well...I really want to fix this problem cus other than that the car runs like a champ.
thanks

Old 05-07-2006, 03:14 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Shocks and Struts, BUMP, RATTLE!!

dude until you are 100 percent sure dont believe what the dealer tells you, i went to a dealer cherryhill audi in nj they left my brake pad loose and it made that rattle sound, when i took it back they said it was from suspension went to a dealer in pa it was my from brakes double check and make sure unless the car hit a curb of sumthin hard

Old 05-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Shocks and Struts, BUMP, RATTLE!!

Could be Strut bearing(s) and the noise at start up is probably your secondary air injection pump... Mine and others do the same thing.. Any other rattles could be a heat shield, exhaust rattle, check your front engine mount (snub mount) housing to make sure it is tight and also that the stock mount hasnt deteriorated.