Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy a 1997 a4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 10:11 PM
Default Should I buy a 1997 a4?

Ok the time has come for me to get myself a new car. I really like the look of the a4 but am troubled because I read a few reviews and 8/10 of them say that the car is unreliable at best. They go on to talk about how the maintinance is expensive and stuff is always breaking. I am not a mechanical person so there is nothing more frustrating to me then a car that breaks down a lot. I figured you guys would be able to give me honest advise as to wheather or not I should get an a4 or just buy another Infiniti.

Old 04-30-2006, 10:36 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Should I buy a 1997 a4?

honestly.. if you arent .. and you said you werent.. mechanicall inclined .. atleast a little.. and dont have money to spend when/if things go wong.. the Audi probably isnt the car for you .. atleast not a 97' model.. you will probably be looking at around 100k on that car .. and with no sure records of maintainence you never now how the car was treated...

if you want a nice quick RELIABLE car with tons of options and cheap/er to work on.. try Honda, Nissan, Toyota.. those 3 manufacters make awesome cars.. with awesome realiablity.. I have had 2 Honda Civic Si's a '99 and an '02 , 1 '93 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1 Toyota Tacoma, and 1 Nissan 240sx.. all which were awesome cars ..

my $.02

Old 05-01-2006, 12:11 AM
4th Gear

NO (see above)

Old 05-01-2006, 12:23 AM
1st Gear

While I do agree with the above two responses, I feel I should at least point out that my A4 (formally my dad's) had nothing but regular work done on it until over 100k. Maybe he was just lucky, but still its not like all audi's will break down all of the time (just most of them a lot of the time... lol).

Old 05-01-2006, 02:34 AM
1st Gear

They are fantastic cars, STOCK. Don't touch the engine unless you can fix it if the **** hits the fan. TRUST ME.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:45 AM
1st Gear

well depends on what modle a4 u are talking about.. the 97 2.8 12v is a decent car... slow as hell but good all about car that is luxurious. but if ur talking the 1.8t that has been driven not hard at all... wear is about to accure... believe me on this one... timing belt, clutch if a 5 speed, water pump, igniton switch, maybe even oil pump if ur unlucky, and maybe starter also... most of that list i have had to replace or the owner right before me did. and let me tell you he babied the car like the last car he would ever own another car again... at 100k miles... the 1.8t is barely reliable my car now running good for the first time i have owned the car (knock on wood!) no cels and its now beeing a solid reliable car again... but when it gets about this age... things get old and break... my car does have 132k so i do have a few miles on you.. but thats my input and my experince with my baby... and dont get me wrong i love my car and have fixed everything my self except for the clutch and racing flywheel so ya... thats my .02!!! and totally agree with all the above post... and i have a 240sx love that beast too. but theres nothin like my audi!!!!

Old 05-01-2006, 03:26 AM

the car I was talking about was the 2.8 12v it has 112k miles on it and from talking to the guy on the phone he sounds like an older guy so it probably has not been beaten on. Basically here is my story im sure you guys can reccomend a nice car. Me and my wife currently own a 2000 Infiniti I30 and absolutely love it as well as a 94 eclipse (my college car) which we will be getting rid of. We've both graduated and she cannot drive up to school (she is a teacher ) with it and neither can I (I am a mortgage officer). So I need something that is classy and reliable. This would not be a problem and I would buy another I30 in a second if I could find it in a stick. I depise driving automatics. Can anyone name a car that is like my I30 maybe a little sportier but not much and I can get in a manual. I would like to keep it around $10k because we are moving into a major fixeruper house and I don't know how much extra cash we will have for the next couple of years.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:29 AM
Zombie Defense Force

ORIGINAL: SKiTZo

They are fantastic cars, STOCK. Don't touch the engine unless you can fix it if the **** hits the fan. TRUST ME.
hey welcome back. hows the car running?

Old 05-01-2006, 04:49 AM
5th Gear

Ive seen him on and off a few times last i heard it was runnin a little on the rich side
ORIGINAL: Jeff

ORIGINAL: SKiTZo

hey welcome back. hows the car running?

Old 05-08-2006, 02:43 AM
1st Gear

Oh hey sorry, i don't check the forums as often as I would like? Car is doing pretty good, Rebuild coming up here in about 3 weeks hopefully. It should be high 12's up here in CO after I'm done with it. She's still smokin up a storm. I don't drive it very much these days. I am burning oil, leaking coolant, and using WAYYY too much Gas. Not very practical. That should all change in about a month and half. I will post a detailed description of everything when all is said and done. How you two been?

Quick Reply: Should I buy a 1997 a4?