Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy an extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Default Should I buy an extended warranty?

The manufacturer warranty on my 2003 A4 Quattro 1.8T (5 speed) runs out tomorrow. I need to make a decision tonight whether to purchase the extended warranty. Cost is $3k for 2 extra years and 80,000km. Car has done 80,000km and is 3 years old. I have owned it since new and nothing major has gone wrong so far. One or two things have been replaced under warranty but nothing serious or mechanical.

What is your opinion on purchasing the extended warranty? I'm leaning towards risking without it but this will be the first time I've owned an Audi with no warranty. I purchased this A4 when the warranty on my 2000 A4 ran out. I plan on keeping the car another 2 years.

Your advice is welcome because I need to make a decision tonight!

Old 03-14-2006, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Should I buy an extended warranty?

I paid $2.3k for a 3year 36k mile warranty. what they are asking is a little pricey but I would say yes. The warranty helps me sleep at night and I recomend it to any car owner unless you own a civic or corrolla, that or your a very competent mechanic and have a lift at your disposal.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:55 PM
1st Gear

I got the warranty for 3200 from audi and it is a piece of mind just like liquidxit2 said, if your tranny goes out or your timing belt our blows up it's covered, I got the top warranty I could for that reason, the closer you get to the end of your factory warranty the morer the price goes up. btw my warranty is 5 years and up to 100,000 miles which ever comes first.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:29 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2yr 24k warr. on my car and I would honestly reccomend it.. I just had my car in the shop they fixed three things

1) Temp Gauge
2) Small oil leak
3) Cruise Control

The total was over a thousand dollars.. I paid.. $100 deductible.. Worth it IMO

Old 03-14-2006, 10:45 PM
2nd Gear

At this point i think everybody knows where i stand on this, get the warrranty.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:48 PM
3rd Gear

Mine is going in the shop in a few days and I'm going to get a chance to see what mine covers. Hopefully it's something because it was about 2 grand.

Old 03-15-2006, 01:41 AM

No, DON'T BUY IT.

This is risking your 3000 dollars...............for nothing as of now.........................

It's just the same thing as "will you buy life insurance?", I would say hell no, because money is no use to me after I die.

1k is fine, but 3K is a BIG NO NO..................

It's a rip off if you ask me..................

You know why they offer you the extented warranty? because the marginal benefit for them is much greater than the marginal cost...

So no no nonononononoo...................

Old 03-15-2006, 02:33 AM
2nd Gear

Dude if thats what you think then you dont know what life insurance is for. Look you buy life insurance so when you die your significant other will be supported as will your children because you will no longer be here to help support them. That and they help pay for a funeral, That is why you get life insurance. not so when YOU die YOU get money thats just plain dumb. its so you dont leave your loved ones with a burden of not having your salary. The warranty covers what it says it covers, now there are some places that have issues with them but you always ask before hand. If the warranty is through audi then I wouldnt be affraid of this as the dealer cant sell you a warranty then not accept it, that would kill their reputation and they would loose all business. Get the warranty I would try to get a longer warranty though but thats your decision.

Old 03-15-2006, 02:39 AM
1st Gear

screw the warranty, buy the bentley book... there is nothing on this car that cannot be fixed by someone with any amount of mechanical know how, a good set of tools, that book, and some guts.

Old 03-15-2006, 02:43 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: xx18quattroxx

screw the warranty, buy the bentley book... there is nothing on this car that cannot be fixed by someone with any amount of mechanical know how, a good set of tools, that book, and some guts.

I used to be a mechanic and for the most part I do all my own work as well as Im very competant with a wrench. I also have a huge tool box full of tools from screw drivers to specialty tools. Thats great and all but then it comes down to price, say my car throws a timing belt and the head pistons and valves are damaged. I know for a fact that I can do the work. But the great thing is I dont have to spend several thousands of dollars on an engine I just drop it off at the shop and pay a $100 deductable and bam I get a new engine. thats why a warranty is well worth it IMHO.

Quick Reply: Should I buy an extended warranty?