Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I have the timing belt done too....

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 10:54 PM
SrK
1st Gear
Default should I have the timing belt done too....

Hi,

I took my 2002 A4 1.8T to the dealer today to have them check a noise coming from the car at idle...
The guy told me right away that it was the fuel pump (If I remember correctly) and they will probably be changing it. But they also found out that the cam seal was leaking oil and that they will replace it under waranty.
My question is,
Will they have to get to the timing belt area to change the seal. If so should I have them change the timingbelt at the same time (44K miles on the car). I was thinking if they need to take of the timingbelt to change the seal maybe I can have them change the Tbelt now (for the cost of the belt) so I don't have to pay couple hundred dolars later down the road for labor.

Anything else I should consider changing now. Waterpump ???

BTW.: the car is a used car so is the seal failure normal at this many miles or can it be an indication to abuse?

Thanks

Serkan - SrK

Old 10-14-2004, 11:13 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: should I have the timing belt done too....

That's a little early for a timing belt, but if you've got the choice, err on the side of caution. Typically the water pump is done at the same time as the timing belt, so that's up to you too. As for the seal going, that's not necessarily any indication of how the car has been cared for. Mine went at about 110,000. Are you the original owner?

Old 10-14-2004, 11:21 PM
SrK
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply Doose,

I guess you are right about it being too early, but I don't know, the cost for the timing belt is probabaly 70$ or something like that. But I will call them up and ask if they would do it...

I am the second owner of the car and there was no sign of abuse but I guess I am being too suspecious since it has been couple months and couple 1000miles since I got the car....

Thanks for the extended warranty tho that makes me relax alittle bit

Old 10-15-2004, 12:44 AM
6th Gear

Definitly ask them to do it, it won't hurt right?

Old 10-15-2004, 09:25 PM
4th Gear

Except is usually isn't the timing belt that fails. Rather it is the tensioner which you should change (another 100 dollars).